Last Updated on
Best Hostels in Vienna
Check out our picks for the Best Hostels in Vienna.
Vienna has some of the highest hostel standards in Europe and some of them offer very good value starting from only €10 per night for a bed in a dorm room. As Vienna is one of the most popular backpacking destinations in Europe, you would expect it to have a lot of hostels, but it only has 36 hostels according to Hostelworld. We have narrowed this down to what we think is the 8 Best Hostels in Vienna.
General Info on Vienna Hostels
- Check out time – Check out time for most hostels in Vienna is 11 am, but at some hostels, the check out time is 10 am. Some hostels offer a late check but for an extra fee. You will have to consult with them while you are there though. Please note that nearly every hostel in Vienna offers Free Luggage storage before or after you check in or out. But it's also worth double checking this if you require this service.
- Free breakfast – Only some hostels in Vienna include breakfast in the price. If it is included in the price this saves you on the cost of breakfast.
- Free wifi – We all need Wifi when we travel. Every hostel will have wifi but some won't have it in the rooms, they just have it in common areas. My advice is to read some reviews on the speed of the Wifi. There's nothing worse than a slow connection.
- Kitchen – If the hostel you are staying at has a fully equipped kitchen, you can save money by cooking your own meals. Some hostels in Vienna only have partially equipped kitchens.
- Age Restrictions – With most hostels in Vienna, you have to be between 18 and 39 years old, but with some youth hostels, you have to be under 35 to stay in a dorm. If you are want to stay in a private room, there are normally no age restrictions.
- Costs: Prices start at €10 per night, but expect to €15 to €20 per night in a mid sized dorm room. Check HostelWorld to get exact prices for your dates.
1. Best Hostels in Vienna - Hostel Ruthensteiner Vienna
Hostel Ruthensteiner is only 5 minutes from Westbahnhof train station and within walking distance of both the City Centre and the amazing Palace Schoenbrunn. The hostel is perfect for relaxing and making new friends after a busy day of sightseeing.
The Hostels features include a cosy bar serving its own micro-brewed Hostel Beer, a fully equipped kitchen for guest use and beautiful gardens to relax in. They can arrange Bike Rentals and city tours at reception.
Prices: Dorms from €10.64 & Privates from €51.00
Address: Robert Hamerling Gasse 24, 1150 Vienna.
2. Best Hostels in Vienna - Wombats City Hostel Vienna - The Naschmarkt
Wombat's Vienna Naschmarkt is centrally located making it close proximity to all major sightseeing sites in Vienna. The centre can be reached within minutes by foot or the nearby U4 station (Kettenbrueckengasse).
This Hostel prides itself on cleanliness and it has paid off as they have won the Hostelworld award for the Cleanest Hostel Chain Worldwide twice.
There is maximum security provided, with keycard access for the front door, the rooms and your locker. All of our rooms come with comfy wooden beds, a private shower and toilet facilities.
Freebies include free Wi-Fi, free bed sheets, free use of our travel guidebooks, free luggage storage, a free welcome drink at the bar and free lockers in every room. Their lively womBAR serves cheap drinks and food.
Prices: Dorms from €12.50 & Privates from €60.00
Address: Rechte Wienzeile 35, Vienna.
3. Best Hostels in Vienna - MEININGER Vienna Downtown Franz
The MEININGER Downtown is located in lively Leopoldstadt, Vienna's second district, between the Danube Canal and the Danube. MEININGER Downtown is more like a hotel than a hostel. The Schottenring is right around the corner and from there you can catch the metro or tram.
The hotel/hostel is located in a modern stylish building. All rooms are designed in a contemporary style and look very fresh. There are many common areas including a games room, a guest kitchen where you can cook your own meals. Other amenities/services include Luggage Storage, Vending Machines, 24/7 Reception, Key Card Access only and Bicycle Hire.
Prices: Dorms from €14.70 & Privates from €58.00
Address: Rembrandtstrasse 21, Vienna.
4. Best Hostels in Vienna - MEININGER Vienna Central Station
Meininger Central Station is located on the shopping street: Favoritenstrasse not far from the city centre. The U-Bahn Station Keplerplatz is right beside the hostel. It's a 20-minute walk to Schloss Belvedere and the Botanical Gardens and of course, it's also very close to Vienna Main Train Station.
The Hostel has numerous public areas of which you can freely avail of. The games room offers pool, table football and table tennis. Services include Free City Maps, Free Wifi, Key Card Access, 24 Hour Reception, Vending Machines (at reception) and luggage storage.
Prices: Dorms from €12.70 & Privates from €65.00
Address: Columbusgasse 16, Vienna.
The Best Travel Backpack!
Are you looking for the perfect travel backpack? Well look no further as The Nomatic Travel Bag is simply the best Travel Bag/Backpack on the market. This 30L carry-on travel bag is super durable, water resistant and has over 20 cool features.
5. Best Hostels in Vienna - A&O Wien Stadthalle
A&O Wien Stadthalle is located just 900 meters or one underground stop from the Westbahnhof station. The historic city centre with its many famous tourist sights is easy to reach due to the excellent public transport connections. If you want to independently explore Vienna, a&o offers its own bike rental service.
Services include a 24h Reception desk, Guest Kitchen for your use, Hostel bar, Pool Table, Common Rooms and all rooms are Keycard Acess only for extra security.
A&O Wien Stadthalle offers modern and spacious rooms.
Prices:€16.00 & Private Rooms from €59.00
Address: Lerchenfelder Grtel 9-11, Vienna.
6. Best Hostels in Vienna - Palace Hostel
Palace Hostel Schlossherberge is located 25 minutes (by public transport) from the centre of Vienna. They offer an awesome and fantastic view overlooking the city. The hostel is very well connected to the public transport network. A bus stop can be found right outside of the hostel entrance.
There is a huge park in front of the hostel where you can sunbath, picnic or just relax. A chill out room with cable TV, table tennis, tabletop football are at your disposal. They even have their own minigolf course.
Facilities/Amenities include free wifi, Free city maps, Bicycle Hire, Luggage Storage and Vending Machines.
They offer 4-bed mixed and female only dorms (2 bunk beds) and all rooms are en-suite (with shower & WC) and equipped with wardrobes and lockers.
Prices: Dorms from €19.00 & Privates from €60.00
Address: Savoyenstrasse 2, A-1160 Vienna.
7. Best Hostels in Vienna - Hostel Hutteldorf
Hostel Hütteldorf is right on the subway which takes you to the city centre in 20 minutes. The hostel is situated on the edge of the forest, surrounded by numerous walking and bike trails and a large garden.
The hostel also boasts a number of freebies, including Free Wi-Fi, Free Internet terminals, Free Lockers in every room, Free Luggage room, Free City maps and Free table tennis.
Prices: Dorms from €10.00 & Privates from €47.00
Address: Schlossberggasse 8, 1130 Vienna.
8. Best Hostels in Vienna - A&O Wien Hauptbahnhof
A&O Wien Hauptbahnhof is located just 100 meters from the new Central Station. With this perfect connection the historic city centre in just a few minutes. The central location of the hostel is ideal for those arriving by train.
The standout feature of this hostel is undoubtedly its magnificent SkyBar on the rooftop of the building giving you panoramic views of beautiful Vienna.
Services include 24 hours reception, free WiFi in public areas and in all rooms, Vending Machines, Key Card Access and Luggage Storage.
Prices: Dorms from €15.75 & Privates from €53.00
Address: Sonnwendgasse 11, Vienna.
I hope this list helps you pick a hostel that best suits your needs during your stay in Vienna. In general the overall standard of hostels in Vienna is good but there are still some bad hostels. Hopefully this list will help you avoid the bad or mediocre hostels in Vienna.
Disclosure: Some of the links in this Best Hostels in Vienna post are affiliate links. This means that if you book your accommodation, BHE earns a small commission at no extra cost to you. This helps to keep the site running. Thanks For The Support!