Last Updated on
Best Hostels in Brussels
Check out our picks for the Best Hostels in Brussels, Belgium. Brussels has only 16 hostels but we have narrowed this down to the best four Hostels. This is a list of the best hostels to consider booking when travelling to Brussels on a backpacker budget.
General Info on Brussels Hostels
- Check out time – Check out time for most hostels in Brussels is 11 am, but at some hostels, the check out time is 10 am. Some hostels offer a late check but for an extra fee. You will have to consult with them on this while you are there though. Please note that nearly every hostel in Brussels offers Free Luggage storage before or after you check in or out. But it's also worth double checking on it if you require this service.
- Free breakfast – Only some hostels in Brussels include breakfast in the price. If it is included in the price this saves you on the cost of breakfast.
- Free WiFi – We all need WiFi while we travel. Every hostel will have WiFi but some won't have it in the rooms, they just have it in common areas. My advice is to read some reviews on the speed of the Wifi. There's nothing worse than a slow connection.
- Kitchen – If the hostel you are staying at has a fully equipped kitchen, you can save money by cooking your own meals. Some hostels in Brussels have no kitchens, others have partially equipped kitchens and some hostels have large fully equipped kitchens with a dining area.
- Age Restrictions – With most hostels in Brussels, you have to be between 18 and 39 years old, but with some youth hostel, you have to be under 35 to stay in a dorm. If you want to stay in a private room in a hostel, there are normally no age restrictions.
- Costs - In bed in a dorm room starts at only €15 per night (normally in large dorm rooms), but expect to pay between €20 to €30 per night in a medium sized dorm room (6 to 10 beds). Cheaper hostels generally have poor reviews, but some highly rated hostels are also cheap. As with all other major cities in Europe prices at the weekend or at holiday periods tend to be 20% to 40% higher.
1. Best Hostels in Brussels - MEININGER Brussels City Center
MEININGER Brussels City Center is by far most popular and the best hostel in Brussels. It's been voted the most popular Hostel in Brussels at the Hoscars' Awards every year since 2015. As it says in the name, the hostel is located in the centre of Brussels, just 15 minutes away from the famous Grand Place.
Their superbly designed dorm rooms are spacious and each (bunk) bed comes with its own reading lamp and power-point. A hearty breakfast (a small fee) is served every morning or you can take advantage of their fully equipped kitchen.
- Cooly designed rooms
Dorms from €22.00
2. Best Hostels in Brussels - Sleep Well Youth Hostel
Sleep Well is an eco-friendly Hostel situated in a central location and well within walking of most of Brussels sites. If you are arriving in Brussels by train, Sleep Well is ideal as it's only a 10-minute walk from Brussel-Noord/Bruxelles-Nord (Brussels-North) station.
The dorms are fresh and clean. They come with an ensuite toilet, free storage lockers, free linen and you also get a free breakfast every morning. It seems a little pricey but you need to factor in the price of breakfast.
- Free breakfast
Dorms from €31.00
The Best Travel Backpack!
Are you looking for the perfect travel backpack? Well look no further as The Nomatic Travel Bag is simply the best Travel Bag/Backpack on the market. This 30L carry-on travel bag is super durable, water resistant and has over 20 cool features.
3. Best Hostels in Brussels - Generation Europe Youth Hostel
The Generation Europe Youth Hostel is situated near the Canal of Brussels just a 15-minute walk to the Grand Place. They provide free WiFi, free parking, and complimentary organic and local buffet breakfast is served daily.
They offer mixed, male-only and female-only dorm rooms. They have an on-site bar where you can sample some local Belgian beers. You can also prepare your own meals in their fully equipped guest kitchen.
- Complimentary organic and local buffet breakfast
- Outdoor garden
Dorms from €25.00
4. Best Hostels in Brussels - Brussels 2GO4 Quality Hostel Grand Place
Brussels G2O4 Quality Hostel City Centre is located bang in the heart of the action very close (10-minute walk) to Brussels-Noord and Brussels Midi (Eurostar) train stations. The hostel comes with many free extras including free breakfast, free Wifi and a free walking tour.
Their cosy bunks come with fresh free linen and some of their premium dorms have en-suite bathrooms for extra privacy. They have mixed and female-only dorms which are ideal for the solo female traveller.
- Free breakfast
- Free walking tour
Dorms from €24.15
I hope this list helps you pick a hostel that best suits your needs during your stay in Brussels. In general the overall standard of hostels in Brussels is excellent but there are still some mediocre ones. Hopefully this list will help you avoid mediocre hostels to ensure you enjoy your stay in Brussels.
Book Your Trip to Brussels
Book Your Accommodation
Recommended Tours in Brussels
I recommend GetYourGuide for Tours. They offer highly unique tours with Local Guides. Below are a selection of some of the most interesting tours in Brussels.
- Brussels Small-Group Walking Tour - See the highlights of Brussels on a 3-hour walking tour.
- Brussels Chocolate Tasting Tour - Enjoy a chocolate walking tour of Brussels with Belgian chocolate tasting with a local tour guide. Visit some of the best chocolate shops in the city and learn everything there is to know about the origins of Belgian chocolate.
- Brussels 2.5-Hour Belgian Beer Tasting Experience - Taste some of the best beers as you visit top bars on this guided tour in Brussels.
- Bruges and Ghent Day Trip Guided Tour - Visit 2 of Belgium's most beautiful and picturesque cities on this full-day Tour.
- Antwerp Day Trip from Brussels - Visit Antwerp, Belgium’s diamond and fashion capital and the city of Peter Paul Rubens.
Don’t Forget Travel Insurance
Travel insurance will protect you against illness, injury, theft, cancellations and much more. I recommend World Nomads Travel Insurance.
Disclosure: Please note that some of the links above may be affiliate links, and at no additional cost to you, BHE earns a commission if you make a purchase. Your support is much appreciated and helps to keep the site going.