Berlin Tourist Attractions
Below is a list of the Top Tourist Attractions in Berlin from The Brandenburg Gate to lesser-known tourist attractions such as the very impressive Charlottenburg Palace. berlin tourist attractions
Berlin Tourist Attractions - The Brandenburg Gate
The Brandenburg Gate is an 18th-century neoclassical monument in Berlin, and one of the best-known landmarks of Germany. It is built on the site of a former city gate that marked the start of the road from Berlin to the town of Brandenburg a der Havel.
It is located in the western part of the city centre of Berlin within Mitte, at the junction of Unter den Linden and Ebertstraße. One block to the north stands the Reichstag building. Throughout its existence, the Brandenburg Gate was often a site for major historical events. Chances are that when leaving the main train station you will see The Brandenburg Gate in front of you.
Berlin Tourist Attractions - The Reichstag
The Reichstag building is a parliament historical building in Berlin. It was opened in 1894 and housed the parliament until 1933, when it was severely damaged after it was set on fire. After World War II, the building fell into dilapidation.
Restoration on the building began in 1990 after reunification and was completed in 1999. Since then it once again became the meeting place of the German parliament: the modern Bundestag.
Berlin Tourist Attractions - Checkpoint Charlie
Checkpoint Charlie is by far the best known Berlin Wall crossing point between East Berlin and West Berlin during the Cold War (1947–1991). Checkpoint Charlie became a symbol of the Cold War, representing the separation of East and West.
After the dissolution of the Eastern Bloc and the reunification of Germany, the building at Checkpoint Charlie became a tourist attraction. It is now located in the Dahlem neighbourhood of Berlin.
Berlin Tourist Attractions - The Berlin Wall
The Berlin Wall was built in 1961 to stop Eastern Bloc emigration and defection westward through the Soviet border system, preventing escape across the city sector border from communist East Berlin into West Berlin. Government officials from East Berlin opened it in November 1989. Its demolition began on 13 June 1990 and was completed in 1992.
Berlin Tourist Attractions - Berlin TV Tower
Berlin TV Tower or The Fernsehturm is a television tower in central Berlin, Germany. It is very close to Alexanderplatz in Mitte. The tower was constructed between 1965 and 1969 by the German Democratic Republic (GDR). It was intended as a symbol of Berlin, which it remains today, as it is easily visible throughout the central and some suburban districts of Berlin. Currently, it is the tallest structure in Germany and the second tallest structure in the European Union.
Berlin Tourist Attractions - Museum Island
Museum Island is the name of the northern half of an island in the Spree river in the central Mitte district of Berlin, Germany, the site of the old city of Cölln. It is so called for the complex of five internationally significant museums. They are The Altes Museum (Old Museum), The Neues Museum (New Museum), The Alte Nationalgalerie (Old National Gallery), The Bode Museum (above image) and The Pergamon Museum. In 1999, the museum complex was added to the UNESCO list of World Heritage Sites.
Berlin Tourist Attractions - Charlottenburg Palace
Charlottenburg Palace is the largest palace in Berlin. It is located in the Charlottenburg district of Berlin.
The palace was built at the end of the 17th century and was greatly expanded during the 18th century. It includes much exotic internal decoration in baroque and rococo styles. A large formal garden surrounded by woodland was added behind the palace, including a belvedere, a mausoleum, a theatre and a pavilion. During the Second World War, the palace was badly damaged but has since been reconstructed.
Berlin Tourist Attractions - Berlin Cathedral
Berlin Cathedral is the short name for the Evangelical Supreme Parish and Collegiate Church in Berlin. It is located on Museum Island in Mitte. The current building was finished in 1905.