Given its large appeal, it's no wonder Amsterdam is one of the top backpacker destinations in Europe. Amsterdam is can be expensive and to help you with this we've compiled a list of cheap hostels in Amsterdam.
General Info on Amsterdam Hostels
In general Amsterdam's hostels are not of the highest standard. Dorm rooms can be small, the stairways can be very narrow and a lot of the hostels are not the cleanest. That said Amsterdam has some exceptional hostels. Amsterdam currently has 106 hostels so choosing a hostel that suits all your needs can be difficult.
- Check out time – Check out time for most hostels in Amsterdam is 11 am, but at some hostels, the check out time is 10 am. Some hostels offer a late check but for an extra fee. You will have to consult with them while you are there though. Please note that nearly every hostel in Amsterdam offers Free Luggage storage before or after you check-in or out. But it's also worth double checking this if you require this service.
- Free breakfast – Only some hostels in Amsterdam include breakfast in the price. If it is included in the price this saves you on the cost of breakfast.
- Free WiFi – We all need WiFi when we travel. Every hostel will have WiFi but some won't have it in the rooms, they just have it in common areas. My advice is to read some reviews on the speed of the WiFi as there's nothing worse than a slow connection.
- Kitchen – If the hostel you are staying at has a fully equipped kitchen, you can save money by cooking your own meals. Some hostels in Amsterdam only have partially equipped kitchens.
- Age Restrictions - With most hostels in Amsterdam, you have to be between 18 and 39 years old, but with some youth hostel, you have to be under 35 to stay in a dorm. If you are want to stay in a private room, there are normally no age restrictions.
- Party Hostels - Amsterdam is renowned as a party destination and in turn, many of the hostels are so-called "Party Hostels". Party Hostels generally have a bar or a nightclub attached to the hostel so they can be noisy. If you looking to get a chilled out hostel and to have a good night's sleep it's best that you avoid this type of hostel.
- Costs - In bed in a dorm room starts at €18 per night (normally in large dorm rooms), but expect to pay €20 to €25 per night in a medium-sized dorm room (6 to 10 beds). As with all other major cities in Europe prices at the weekend tend to be 20% to 40% higher.
ClinkNOORD is located in Amsterdam Noord, just 10 minutes from the back of Amsterdam Central Station. Simply catch the short free ferry across the IJ River, which runs 24/7, and the hostel is just a 3 minute away.
This multi-award winning hostel is simply the best cheap hostel in Amsterdam. Services/Amenities include Free WiFi throughout the building, Free City Maps, Common Rooms, Key Card Access for added security, Luggage Storage, On-site Bar & Cafe and Vending Machines.
Dorms from €18.20
2. Cheap Hostels in Amsterdam - Stayokay Amsterdam Oost (Zeeburg)
Stayokay is situated east of the centre in a local Amsterdam neighbourhood. The city's top attractions are a 15-minute cycle or tram trip away. The tram stop is only 200m from the hostel and will bring you to Rembrandt Square in 10 minutes.
Services/Amenities include Free WiFi, Bicycle rental, Key Card Access, Reading Light (at all beds including dorm beds), 24 Hour Reception, Luggage Storage, Postal Service, Tours/Travel Desk, and an on-site Bar/Cafe/Restaurant.
Dorms from €18.90
3. Cheap Hostels in Amsterdam - Via Amsterdam
Via Amsterdam Hostel is located on the east of the city, and only a 6 minutes metro ride away from Amsterdam's city centre and just 12 minutes from Amsterdam Central Station.
The rooms have a minimalistic design. Their focus is on the super comfy mattresses along with the crisp linen and fluffy pillows. All beds have their own electric socket, USB chargers and headlight.
Facilities/Services include Free WiFi, Free City Maps, Common Room, Iron/Ironing Board at your disposal, Key Card Access, ATM, Bicycle Hire, on-site Bar Restaurant and Vending Machines.
They offer 4, 6 & 8-bed mixed dorms and 4-bed female only dorms.
Dorms from €20.00
4. Cheap Hostels in Amsterdam - MEININGER Amsterdam Amstel
MEININGER Amsterdam Amstel is just 5 minutes away from the centre using public transport. Alternatively, the historic old town can be easily reached by bike, in just 15 minutes.
MEININGER Amsterdam Amstel is more a hotel than a hostel. All dorm rooms are equipped with a flat-screen TV, free WiFi, hairdryer and private bathroom.
Other services available include Free Wifi, Free City Maps, Key Card Access, Reading Light, Self-Catering Facilities, Luggage Storage, Outdoor Terrace, Bar Restaurant and Vending Machines.
They offer 4 & 6-bed mixed as well as 4-bed female only dorms.
Dorms from €20.00
5. Cheap Hostels in Amsterdam - Aivengo Hostel
Aivengo Hostel located in the centre of Amsterdam. All major attractions, such as the Van Gogh Museum, Anne Frank House, the flower market and Red Light District are within walking distance.
The reception area has a TV, fridge and microwave. Other facilities/services include Free WiFi, Free City Maps and Luggage Storage.
Dorms from €20.00
6. Cheap Hostels in Amsterdam - WOW Amsterdam
WOW Amsterdam is located in the west part of Amsterdam and it takes about 40 minutes to reach the city centre (by public transport). It consists of a hostel, studios for resident artists, a restaurant, urban farm and exhibition space.
The WOW hostel has 352 beds divided over different types of dormitories, ranging from twelve, eight, six, four and two bedded rooms with bunk beds. Free WiFi is available in the entire building. The WOW lobby, restaurant and urban farm are common areas where you can meet fellow travellers and like-minded people from all over the world.
Dorms from €20.00
7. Cheap Hostels in Amsterdam - MEININGER Amsterdam City West
MEININGER Amsterdam City West is situated directly (almost next door) at the Sloterdijk transport hub. At Sloterdijk Station ALL public transport is covered (trains, trams, buses, metros) to get you wherever you need to be in Amsterdam. From there it is just a 5-minute ride with the urban railway to the Central Station and 15 minutes to Schiphol Airport.
All dorm rooms have their own bathroom with shower and toilet, as well as a television. Free WiFi is provided in all public areas and rooms. Other services and features include a Guest kitchen, Games Room with pool and table football, Free luggage room and safe deposit boxes, Room access with key card and an on-site Bar.
Dorms from €20.40
8. Cheap Hostels in Amsterdam - A&O Amsterdam Zuidoost
A&O Amsterdam Zuidoost is located in the Bullewijk district close to a metro station (20 minutes to the city centre). Close to the hostel, you will find the Ajax Amsterdam Arena, the world famous Endemol TV studios, the Heineken Music Hall.
Services include Free WiFi, Key Card Access, 24 Hour Reception, on-site ATM, Bicycle Hire, Luggage Storage, Games Room, Bar and Vending Machines.
Dorms from €20.60
Book Your Trip to Amsterdam
Book Your Accommodation
Recommended Tours in Amsterdam
I recommend GetYourGuide for Tours. They offer highly unique tours with Local Guides. Below are a selection of some of the most popular tours in Amsterdam.
- Life of Anne Frank Walking Tour - Learn about Anne Frank's life on a walking tour of Amsterdam. Hear from an expert guide about her life growing up, as well as the history of the Jewish Quarter and Second World War.
- Heineken Experience Ticket - Come and discover what lies behind the doors of the former Heineken brewery in Amsterdam.
- Evening Canal Cruise - See Amsterdam at its most picturesque on a 1.5-hour canal cruise by night. Discover the historic city centre as you sail past the Skinny Bridge, Golden Bend, and much more.
- Skip the Queue Ticket @ Amsterdam Royal Palace - Follow in the footsteps of kings and queens and explore the Royal Palace of Amsterdam with an informative audio guide. Learn more about the history of Amsterdam in the Dutch Golden Age.
- Johan Cruijff Arena Stadium 75-Minute Tour - Feel the beating heart of Ajax while enjoying a 75-minute Arena Stadium Tour. Your guide will tell you all about the stadium and AFC Ajax.
Don’t Forget Travel Insurance
Travel insurance will protect you against illness, injury, theft, cancellations and much more. I recommend World Nomads Travel Insurance.
Disclosure: Please note that some of the links above may be affiliate links, and at no additional cost to you, BHE earns a commission if you make a purchase. Your support is much appreciated and helps to keep the site going.