Last Updated on 1st January 2022
Cheap Hostels in Berlin
This is a list of Cheap Hostels in Berlin and some of them offer very good value starting from only €11 per night for a bed in a dorm room.
Want to make the most of your Berlin trip but have to watch your budget? If you want to save on the accommodation and spend on the fun, then take a look at our list of cheap hostels in Berlin! Most hostels offer either a mixed, male or female dorm rooms. These are always the cheapest option. And of course, you’ll get the chance to meet fellow travellers and pick up tips on what to see and do.
Hostels often offer other ways to save money, such as communal kitchen facilities where you can cook your own meals and some hostels also offer very cheap meal options. All the hostels listed below have WiFi included and all offer a bed in a dorm room for between €11 and €16 per night.
General Info on Hostels in Berlin
As Berlin is one of the most popular backpacking destinations in Europe, there is a large selection of hostels. Here are some things that you might want to consider before booking a hostel in Berlin.
- Price - Berlin Hostels have some of the cheapest prices for a major city in Western Europe. In bed in a dorm room starts at €10 per night (normally large dorm rooms). Prices at the weekend tend to be 20% to 40% higher as there is greater demand.
- Location - Berlin is a large city so it's best to stay in a central location close to the top sights and nightlife. Mitte is the most central location in Berlin but you should also consider staying in a more local district such as Friedrichshain or Kreuzberg.
- Amenities/Services - Every hostel in Berlin offers free Wi-Fi and a few hostels include breakfast in the price, but if you want more specific services be sure to do your research to find the hostel that best meets your needs.
- Staff - Most hostels in Berlin have excellent staff. They are normally very friendly and will give you some great tips on restaurants, bars and clubs etc. But my advice is to read reviews to make sure the hostel you choose has friendly and helpful staff because rude or unhelpful staff could ruin your hostel experience.
Here’s our comprehensive list of the cheapest Hostels in Berlin which includes a detailed description of each hostel.
1. PLUS Berlin
PLUS Berlin is in an ideal location for those looking to explore Berlin's culture on foot; it's set near the East Side Gallery and just between the nightlife, shopping and art districts of Friedrichshain and Kreuzberg.
Guests say the rooms are "spotless, warm and cleaned every day with fresh towels" and that "this place offers great value for money and is more like a hotel than a hostel". This hostel has a swimming pool, sauna and garden. It is one of the highest-rated hostels on Hostelworld for Berlin and for this reason, it is the best cheap hostel in Berlin.
Price: Dorms from €11.00
A&O Berlin Friedrichshain is located in the heart of the alternative area Friedrichshain and it is surrounded by numerous pubs, bars, galleries and trendy shops.
This area has plenty of culture on offer, such as the East Side Gallery which consisted of the longest part of The Berlin Wall that is still standing. Catch the bus, tram or S- Bahn from Ostkreuz and you will arrive comfortably and swiftly in central Berlin in just a few minutes.
Price: Dorms from €12.70
The A&O Berlin Mitte is located in the Berlin district of the same name and is just two underground stations from the Alexanderplatz station and 10 minutes by foot from the Ostbahnhof station.
Due to its size, the A&O Berlin Mitte is an excellent choice not only for group trips but because of its Family Lounges and playroom it's also great for holidays with the kids. For those arriving by car, there are numerous parking spaces available right by the hostel.
Price: Dorms from €13.10
Baxpax Downtown Hostel is located right in the centre of Berlin, between the shopping area Friedrichstraße, Museum Island and the nightlife-area Oranienburger Straße with many bars, clubs and restaurants.
It's only a 10-minute walk to Brandenburg Gate, Potsdamer Platz and Alexanderplatz. There’s easy access to all public transport services; the metro, tram, buses and the S-Bahn are all just around the corner.
Price: Dorms from €14.00
The Check In Hostel Berlin is located in a historical part of Berlin and offers you comfortable rooms for low prices. You will be impressed by our clear and simple design, we offer superior comfort and convenience in a pleasant atmosphere.
The Check In Hostel Berlin is centrally located, which allows you to reach the most exciting places quickly and very easily. From our centrally located hostel, you can reach in a few minutes Checkpoint Charlie and the Jewish Museum. Also, the Potsdamer Platz, the Brandenburg Gate and the shopping district on Friedrichstrasse is reachable within walking distance.
Price: Dorms from €16.80
A&O Berlin Hauptbahnhof has very modernly furnished rooms and business suites. Their lobby is a spacious and bar with pool and foosball tables.
The A&O Berlin Hauptbahnhof is just 10 minutes by foot from the Berlin Central Station. In spite of its central location, the hostel is on a quiet side street. Due to its excellent location, the A&O can be easily reached by car, train or bus.
Price: Dorms from €16.00
St Christopher's Berlin is located near the TV Tower, Alexanderplatz and Museum Island. Guests say they appreciate the "super helpful and proactive" staff as well as the extra hair dryers and good mirrors in the women's bathroom.
St Christopher's is located right in the heart of Berlin providing free bed linen and free Wi-Fi - making this hostel the ideal base for you to explore the culture, history and nightlife of this amazing city. There is a continental breakfast available every morning. All guests receive a 25% discount on food at the onsite restaurants plus great discount deals on drinks.
Price: Dorms from €14.90
The large lobby at Industriepalast Hostel includes a bar, table soccer and a pool table, as well as a guest kitchen and vaulted cellar with a ping pong table, are great places to meet other guests and just hang out.
Above that, you can watch the most beautiful Industriepalast sunset of Berlin from our exquisite terrace. The Industriepalast offers you not only huge and spacious rooms for groups up to 8 people but also favourable single and double rooms that meet a hotel standard.
Price: Dorms from €16.30
I hope this list of the cheapest hostels in Berlin helps you pick a hostel that best suits your needs during your stay in Berlin. In general, the overall standard of hostels in Berlin is excellent but there are still some bad and mediocre ones. Hopefully, this list will help you avoid bad and mediocre hostels to ensure you enjoy your stay in Berlin.
Book Your Trip to Berlin
Book Your Accommodation
Recommended Tours in Berlin
I recommend GetYourGuide for Tours. They offer highly unique tours with Local Guides. Below are a selection of some of the most popular tours in Berlin.
- Third Reich and Cold War Walking Tour - Discover Berlin’s unique story on a 2-hour walking tour. Enjoy a smaller group experience, starting from Brandenburg Gate and encompassing a long stretch of the Berlin Wall, still standing 30 years after the wall fell.
- TV Tower Fast View Ticket - Offering breathtaking views over the German capital, the TV Tower cuts a striking image against the Berlin skyline. Secure yourself a hassle-free entrance ticket to this famous city attraction and bypass the infamous queues of people lining up outside.
- Reichstag: Rooftop Coffee Break at Käfer - Visit the Reichstag and enjoy a beautiful view of Berlin from the famed glass dome. Have coffee and cake at the rooftop restaurant at a table reserved specially for you.
- Sachsenhausen Memorial Walking Tour - Step inside Sachsenhausen Memorial and learn of the site’s terrible history and see poignant memorials, such as the killing center and gallows.
- Skip the Line: Berlin DDR Museum Tickets - Skip the line at the DDR Museum (also known as the GDR Museum) in Berlin and dive right into history. Rummage through cupboards and drawers in originally furnished rooms and drive a Trabant.
Don’t Forget Travel Insurance
Travel insurance will protect you against illness, injury, theft, cancellations and much more. I recommend World Nomads Travel Insurance.
Disclosure: Please note that some of the links above may be affiliate links, and at no additional cost to you, BHE earns a commission if you make a purchase. Your support is much appreciated and helps to keep the site going.
THANKS FOR READING
Hi, I'm Michael McGuinness and the guy behind the scenes of Best Hostels Europe. I'm a professional web developer, blogger, digital nomad and parent. I've been travelling the world with my wife and young son since 2012.