Last Updated on 1st January 2022
Cheap Hostels in Budapest
This is a list of Cheap Hostels in Budapest.
Want to make the most of your Budapest trip but have to watch your budget? If you want to save on the accommodation and spend your money on the fun, then take a look at our amazing list of cheap hostels in Budapest! All of the hostels here offer either mixed, male or female dorm rooms. These are always the cheapest option. And of course, you’ll get the chance to meet fellow travellers and pick up tips on what to see and do!
Hostels often offer other ways to save money, such as communal kitchen facilities where you can cook your own meals and some hostels also offer very cheap meal options. All the hostels listed below have wifi included and all offer a bed in a dorm room for between €5 to €8 per night and all hostels have a rating of 8/10 or higher on Hostelworld.
General Info on Hostels in Budapest
Here are some things that you might want to consider before booking a hostel in Budapest.
- Price - Hostels in Budapest are very cheap especially in comparison to prices in Western Europe. A bed in a dorm room starts at €5 per night (normally large dorm rooms).
- Location - Budapest is a huge city so it's best to stay in a central location close to the top sights and nightlife. (All hostels listed below are in central locations.)
- Amenities/Services - Every hostel in Budapest offers free Wi-Fi and a few hostels include breakfast in the price, but if you want more specific services be sure to do your research to find the hostel that best meets your needs.
- Staff - Most hostels in Budapest have excellent staff. They are normally very friendly and will give you some great tips on restaurants, bars and clubs etc. But my advice is to read reviews to make sure the hostel you choose has friendly and helpful staff because rude or unhelpful staff could ruin your hostel experience.
Here’s our comprehensive list of cheap hostels in Budapest which includes a detailed description of each hostel.
Baroque Hostel is located next to the famous Hero Square and close to city park (Vrosliget), and most of the other famous sights including the Museum of Fine Arts, the Art Hall, the Szechenyi Thermal Baths, and the Skating Rink. They offer quality hospitality in a youthful environment at affordable rates.
Dorms from €5.00
2. Fifth Hostel
Fifth Hostel offers free WiFi, a fully equipped kitchen, a common room with armchairs, a couch and a TV set, a washing machine and a tumble dryer. All of our rooms contain chairs, table and individual lockers free of charges. The Hostel is fully air-conditioned and is one of the highest rated hostels in Budapest.
Dorms from €5.85
Cooltour Hostel is located in the heart of Budapest, a short walk from Deak Square and the well known Kiraly Street. Here, you can find everything unique to Budapest from the famous ruin bars to excellent street food and much more. CoolTour Hostel prides itself on cleanliness and is committed to keeping their kitchen, common area and dorms to an exceptional standard.
Dorms from €6.50
Meander Hostel is centrally located, close to St. Stephens Basilica, and a block from Budapest's theatre district, with its cafes, bars, restaurants and street food. This location makes it possible to walk to all the major sites in Budapest. There an indoor and courtyard common areas, a well equipped kitchen, free tea and coffee, and the option to share a cheap communal meal every night.
Dorms from €6.50
Home Made Hostel offers spacious rooms and comfy beds (no bunk beds). They have many free amenities including a guest kitchen, common room, free wifi throughout, free use of Skype headsets, free safe, free towel hire and bed linen and free tea and coffee.
Dorms from €6.50
Hostel Budapest Center has not 1 but 4 fully equipped guest kitchens. A breakfast is available at an extra cost of €3.30. The rooms are protected with soundproof doors insuring you get the best possible sleep. All rooms are equipped with a private shower, wifi, safe, lockers, cosmetic mirrors and a table and desk.
Dorms from €6.90
At the The Hive Hostel, every room is air-conditioned and ensuite so you can stay cool. The lockers work with a keycard system for your security. If you get hungry you can prepare something in the fully equipped kitchen. Here the staff will arrange anything you need: pub crawls, sightseeing tours, daytime spa baths. The building surrounds an impressive central courtyard, where you can find one of the best ruin bar of Budapest.
Dorms from €7.00
Casa de la Musica Hostel is located in the center of Budapest, close to places of interest, party spots and cultural monuments. They have a terrace bar, common areas and meeting rooms. There's also a great pool on the terrace open in the summertime.
Dorms from €7.00
Carpe Noctem Vitae offers the perfect balance between providing a wide range of amenities and facilities of a large hostel, but making you feel relaxed in a sociable, fun and family-esq atmosphere. Vitae’s has many common areas for you to meet and mingle with other guests. The staff will prepare cheap family-dinners for you for only the cost of the meal’s ingredients. Vitae’s 3 modern kitchens are accessible 24/7.
Dorms from €7.15
Grandio Party Hostel & Ruin Bar is located in central Budapest near the metro and is ideal for those looking to meet their fellow travellers. The friendly staff of this lively hostel are happy to share their knowledge of the city and host nightly parties, pub crawls and boat cruises. They have a large beer garden and many pop-art murals on the walls of the property.
Dorms from €7.15
I hope this list of the cheap hostels in Budapest helps you pick a hostel that best suits your needs during your stay in Budapest. In general, the overall standard of hostels in Budapest is excellent but there are still some bad and mediocre ones. Hopefully, this list will help you avoid bad and mediocre hostels to ensure you enjoy your stay in Budapest.
Book Your Trip to Budapest
Best Website to Book a Hostel
Hostelworld is by far the biggest and the best website for booking hostels because they have the best prices and availability. The website is designed to include many filters to help find a hostel that best suits your needs. For instance, you can filter hostels by price or by rating for a particular city.
Recommended Tours in Budapest
I recommend GetYourGuide for Tours. They offer highly unique tours with Local Guides. Below are a selection of some of the most interesting tours in Budapest.
- Small-Group Ruin Bar Tour - Wander through Budapest's atmospheric Jewish Quarter stopping in at many of the best-known ruin bars in Budapest.
- Széchenyi Spa Full-Day Entrance Pass - Skip the queue at Budapest's world-famous thermal spring spa, Széchenyi Bath. It's the largest thermal spring bath complex in Europe, it comprises 3 outdoor and 15 indoor pools.
- 1-Hour Sightseeing Cruise with Welcome Drink - See the sights of Budapest from the River Danube on a 1-hour sightseeing cruise, and enjoy a seasonal cocktail or soft drink along the way.
- St Stephen's Basilica Tour with Tower Access - Skip the queue and take a guided tour of Saint Stephen's Basilica including an exclusive visit to its dome and enjoy panoramic views of Budapest.
- Original Budapest Pub Crawl and VIP Club Entrance - Discover the best ruin bars of Budapest on this 4-hour pub crawl of the city centre, and then enjoy VIP entrance to one of the best clubs in town!
Don’t Forget Travel Insurance
Travel insurance will protect you against illness, injury, theft, cancellations and much more. I recommend World Nomads Travel Insurance.
Disclosure: Please note that some of the links above may be affiliate links, and at no additional cost to you, BHE earns a commission if you make a purchase. Your support is much appreciated and helps to keep the site going.
THANKS FOR READING
Hi, I'm Michael McGuinness and the guy behind the scenes of Best Hostels Europe. I'm a professional web developer, blogger, digital nomad and parent. I've been travelling the world with my wife and young son since 2012.