Last Updated on 2nd October 2021
4 Best Hostels in Zagreb
Check out our picks for the Best Hostels in Zagreb, Croatia. Zagreb has only 33 hostels but we have narrowed this down to the best four Hostels. This is a list of the best hostels to consider booking when travelling to Brussels on a backpacker budget.
General Info on Hostels in Zagreb
Here are some things that you might want to consider before booking a hostel in Zagreb.
- Price - In bed in a dorm room starts at only €8 per night (normally in large dorm rooms), but expect to pay between €12 to €16 per night in a medium-sized dorm room (6 to 10 beds). Please note that most hostels in Zagreb don't include the city tax (€1.40 per night) in the price. Cheaper hostels generally have poor reviews, but some highly rated hostels are also cheap. As with all other major cities in Europe prices at the weekend or at holiday periods tend to be 20% to 40% higher.
- Location - Zagreb is a medium-sized city but it's best to stay in a central location close to the top sights and nightlife. (All hostels listed below are in central locations.)
- Amenities/Services - Every hostel in Zagreb offers free Wi-Fi and a few hostels include breakfast in the price, but if you want more specific services be sure to do your research to find the hostel that best meets your needs.
- Staff - Most hostels in Zagreb have excellent staff. They are normally very friendly and will give you some great tips on restaurants, bars and clubs etc. But my advice is to read reviews to make sure the hostel you choose has friendly and helpful staff because rude or unhelpful staff could ruin your hostel experience.
- Check out time - Check out time for most hostels in Zagreb is 11 am, but at some hostels, the check out time is 10 am. Some hostels offer a late check but for an extra fee. You will have to consult with them on this while you are there though. Please note that nearly every hostel in Zagreb offers Free Luggage storage before or after you check in or out. But it's also worth double checking on it if you require this service.
- Kitchen - If the hostel you are staying at has a fully equipped kitchen, you can save money by cooking your own meals. Some hostels in Zagreb have no kitchens, others have partially equipped kitchens and some hostels have large fully equipped kitchens with a dining area.
Here’s our list of the best hostels in Zagreb which includes a detailed description of each hostel.
1. Swanky Mint
Swanky Mint is by the best hostel in Zagreb. The hotel is situated in a very central location. When you finished exploring Zagreb for the day, there's nothing better than relaxing in their swimming pool or in their garden.
They 6, 8, 9 and 12-bed dorm rooms as well female-only dorm rooms perfect for the solo female traveller. All dorm rooms come with free WiFi, free linen, free towels, lockers and all rooms have key card access only for extra security.
- Their swimming pool
- Their guest kitchen
Dorms from €12.50
Whole Wide World Hostel is the best party hostel in Zagreb. They have their own bar (Happy Hour 6 pm - 8 pm every day) and you can bring in your own alcohol and drink in one of the common areas. They have the cheapest pub crawl in town, beer pong competitions and events every day of the week. The hostel is close to all Zagerb's major tourist attractions that include Ban Jelacic Square, Zagreb Cathedral and Tkalciceva.
All rooms have air conditioning for those long hot summer nights. What makes this hostel stand out from all hostels in Zagreb is the sheer amount of free amenities such as Free Breakfast, free lockers, free WIFI in all rooms, free use of guest laptop, free city maps, free earplugs, free luggage storage, free pancakes (every Tuesday night) and free use of their fully equipped kitchen for you to cook and store your food.
- Air Con in every room
- Free hot breakfast
Dorms from €9.90
The Best Travel Backpack!
Are you looking for the perfect travel backpack? Well look no further as The Nomatic Travel Bag is simply the best Travel Bag/Backpack on the market. This 30L carry-on travel bag is super durable, water resistant and has over 20 cool features.
Palmers Lodge Hostel Zagreb is ideally located just 300m from the main train station, 700m from the main bus station, and just a 10 to 15-minute walk to all Zagreb's major tourist sites.
They offer 6 & 8 bed mixed dorms and 4-bed female-only dorms. Each dorm bed has its own reading lamp and powerpoint. Breakfast (€5.00) is served every morning from 8:00 till 11:00 in the restaurant across the street from the hostel.
- Their fully equipped kitchen
Dorms from €9.60
Chillout Hostel Zagreb as it says in the name is a super chilled out hostel located in the heart of Zagreb. Zagreb's main square (Ban Jelacic) is only a 6 minutes walk away and Zagreb Cathedral is just 9 minutes away.
All dorm rooms at Chillout Hostel are superbly designed. There's air-conditioned. You are also provided with free linen, under-bed lockers and each (bunk) bed have their own curtain for extra privacy. Chillout Hostel is the best cheap hostel in Zagreb.
- Their free walking tour
Dorms from €8.60
I hope this list of the best hostels in Zagreb helps you pick a hostel that best suits your needs during your stay in Zagreb. In general, the overall standard of hostels in Zagreb is excellent but there are still some bad and mediocre ones. Hopefully, this list will help you avoid bad and mediocre hostels to ensure you enjoy your stay in Zagreb.
Book Your Trip to Zagreb
Book Your Accommodation
To book a hostel in Zagreb, always use HostelWorld to get the best possible price.
Recommended Tours in Zagreb
I recommend GetYourGuide for Tours. They offer highly unique tours with Local Guides. Below are some of the best and most interesting tours in Zagreb.
- 2.5-Hour Walking Tour with Funicular Ride - Discover the charm of Zagreb as you explore the city on a guided walking tour. Learn about the history of the city from an expert local guide, who will show you the hidden gems of the Croatian capital and take a funicular ride to the old town.
- 3 Hour Classic Bike Tour - Jump on a comfortable orange bike and let one of the guides take you for an unforgettable ride. Learn about Zagreb’s fascinating and complex history.
- 2.5-Hour Croatian Homeland War Tour - Take a 2.5-hour tour on the fall of Communist Yugoslavia, and the Croatian fight for independence in the disastrous Homeland War, including entrance to the underground war tunnels and Museum of the Bombing of Zagreb.
- Rastoke & Plitvice Lakes National Park Tour Daytrip from Zagreb - Discover the beauty of Croatia's oldest and most visited national park, listed by UNESCO as a World Heritage Site. On a small-group guided tour, you’ll experience nature at its finest and enjoy breathtaking views of lakes and waterfalls in Plitvice Park.
- Istria Day Tour From Zagreb - Wander between three stunning places. Pula, a Roman amphitheatre, Poreč, a UNESCO protected Euphrasian basilica, and Rovinj, the Pearl of the Adriatic.
Don’t Forget Travel Insurance
Travel insurance will protect you against illness, injury, theft, cancellations and much more. I recommend World Nomads Travel Insurance.
Disclosure: Please note that some of the links above may be affiliate links, and at no additional cost to you, BHE earns a commission if you make a purchase. Your support is much appreciated and helps to keep the site going.
THANKS FOR READING
Hi, I'm Michael McGuinness and the guy behind the scenes of Best Hostels Europe. I'm a professional web developer, blogger, digital nomad and parent. I've been travelling the world with my wife and young son since 2012.