Last Updated on
Best Hostels in Zagreb
Check out our picks for the Best Hostels in Zagreb, Croatia. Zagreb has only 33 hostels but we have narrowed this down to the best four Hostels. This is a list of the best hostels to consider booking when travelling to Brussels on a backpacker budget.
General Info on Hostels in Zagreb
- Check out time – Check out time for most hostels in Zagreb is 11 am, but at some hostels, the check out time is 10 am. Some hostels offer a late check but for an extra fee. You will have to consult with them on this while you are there though. Please note that nearly every hostel in Zagreb offers Free Luggage storage before or after you check-in or out. But it's also worth double checking on it if you require this service.
- Free breakfast – Only some hostels in Zagreb include breakfast in the price. If it is included in the price this saves you on the cost of breakfast.
- Free WiFi – We all need WiFi while we travel. Every hostel will have WiFi but some won't have it in the rooms, they just have it in common areas. My advice is to read some reviews on the speed of the Wifi. There's nothing worse than a slow connection.
- Kitchen – If the hostel you are staying at has a fully equipped kitchen, you can save money by cooking your own meals. Some hostels in Zagreb have no kitchens, others have partially equipped kitchens and some hostels have large fully equipped kitchens with a dining area.
- Age Restrictions – With most hostels in Zagreb, you have to be between 18 and 39 years old, but with some youth hostel, you have to be under 35 to stay in a dorm. If you want to stay in a private room in a hostel, there are normally no age restrictions.
- Costs - In bed in a dorm room starts at only €8 per night (normally in large dorm rooms), but expect to pay between €12 to €16 per night in a medium sized dorm room (6 to 10 beds). Please note that most hostels in Zagreb don't include the city tax (€1.40 per night) in the price. Cheaper hostels generally have poor reviews, but some highly rated hostels are also cheap. As with all other major cities in Europe prices at the weekend or at holiday periods tend to be 20% to 40% higher.
1. Best Hostels in Zagreb - Swanky Mint
Swanky Mint is by the best hostel in Zagreb. The hotel is situated in a very central location. When you finished exploring Zagreb for the day, there's nothing better than relaxing in their swimming pool or in their garden.
They 6, 8, 9 and 12-bed dorm rooms as well female-only dorm rooms perfect for the solo female traveller. All dorm rooms come with free WiFi, free linen, free towels, lockers and all rooms have key card access only for extra security.
- Their swimming pool
- Their guest kitchen
Dorms from €12.50
2. Best Hostels in Zagreb - Whole Wide World Hostel
Whole Wide World Hostel is the best party hostel in Zagreb. They have their own bar (Happy Hour 6 pm - 8 pm every day) and you can bring in your own alcohol and drink in one of the common areas. They have the cheapest pub crawl in town, beer pong competitions and events every day of the week. The hostel is close to all Zagerb's major tourist attractions that include Ban Jelacic Square, Zagreb Cathedral and Tkalciceva.
All rooms have air conditioning for those long hot summer nights. What makes this hostel stand out from all hostels in Zagreb is the sheer amount of free amenities such as Free Breakfast, free lockers, free WIFI in all rooms, free use of guest laptop, free city maps, free earplugs, free luggage storage, free pancakes (every Tuesday night) and free use of their fully equipped kitchen for you to cook and store your food.
- Air Con in every room
- Free hot breakfast
Dorms from €9.90
The Best Travel Backpack!
Are you looking for the perfect travel backpack? Well look no further as The Nomatic Travel Bag is simply the best Travel Bag/Backpack on the market. This 30L carry-on travel bag is super durable, water resistant and has over 20 cool features.
3. Best Hostels in Zagreb - Palmers Lodge Zagreb
Palmers Lodge Hostel Zagreb is ideally located just 300m from the main train station, 700m from the main bus station, and just a 10 to 15-minute walk to all Zagreb's major tourist sites.
They offer 6 & 8 bed mixed dorms and 4-bed female-only dorms. Each dorm bed has its own reading lamp and powerpoint. Breakfast (€5.00) is served every morning from 8:00 till 11:00 in the restaurant across the street from the hostel.
- Their fully equipped kitchen
Dorms from €9.60
4. Best Hostels in Zagreb - Chillout Hostel Zagreb
Chillout Hostel Zagreb as it says in the name is a super chilled out hostel located in the heart of Zagreb. Zagreb's main square (Ban Jelacic) is only a 6 minutes walk away and Zagreb Cathedral is just 9 minutes away.
All dorm rooms at Chillout Hostel are superbly designed. There's air-conditioned. You are also provided with free linen, under-bed lockers and each (bunk) bed have their own curtain for extra privacy. Chillout Hostel is the best cheap hostel in Zagreb.
- Their free walking tour
Dorms from €8.60
I hope this list helps you pick a hostel that best suits your needs during your stay in Zagreb. In general the overall standard of hostels in Zagreb is excellent but there are still some bad and mediocre ones. Hopefully this list will help you avoid bad and mediocre hostels to ensure you enjoy your stay in Zagreb.
Book Your Trip to Zagreb
Book Your Accommodation
Recommended Tours in Zagreb
I recommend GetYourGuide for Tours. They offer highly unique tours with Local Guides. Below are some of best and most interesting tours in Zagreb.
- 2.5-Hour Walking Tour with Funicular Ride - Discover the charm of Zagreb as you explore the city on a guided walking tour. Learn about the history of the city from an expert local guide, who will show you the hidden gems of the Croatian capital and take a funicular ride to the old town.
- 3 Hour Classic Bike Tour - Jump on a comfortable orange bike and let one of the guides take you for an unforgettable ride. Learn about Zagreb’s fascinating and complex history.
- 2.5-Hour Croatian Homeland War Tour - Take a 2.5-hour tour on the fall of Communist Yugoslavia, and the Croatian fight for independence in the disastrous Homeland War, including entrance to the underground war tunnels and Museum of the Bombing of Zagreb.
- Rastoke & Plitvice Lakes National Park Tour Daytrip from Zagreb - Discover the beauty of Croatia's oldest and most visited national park, listed by UNESCO as a World Heritage Site. On a small-group guided tour, you’ll experience nature at its finest and enjoy breathtaking views of lakes and waterfalls in Plitvice Park.
- Istria Day Tour From Zagreb - Wander between three stunning places. Pula, a Roman amphitheatre, Poreč, a UNESCO protected Euphrasian basilica, and Rovinj, the Pearl of the Adriatic.
Don’t Forget Travel Insurance
Travel insurance will protect you against illness, injury, theft, cancellations and much more. I recommend World Nomads Travel Insurance.
Disclosure: Please note that some of the links above may be affiliate links, and at no additional cost to you, BHE earns a commission if you make a purchase. Your support is much appreciated and helps to keep the site going.