Last Updated on
Best Hostels in London
Check out our picks for the Best Hostels in London, England. London has exactly 151 hostels and we have narrowed this down to the Best 6 Hostels in London.
General Info on Hostels in London
London has some very good hostels, it also some very bad ones.
- Check-in/Check-out times – Check-out time at most hostels in London is 10 am. Whereas Check-out time at most hostels in Europe is at 11 am or 12 noon. Check-in for is between 2 pm and 4 pm. Please note that nearly every hostel in London offers Free Luggage storage before or after you check-in or out.
- Breakfast – Most hostels in London offer breakfast for a reasonable price (at a lot of hostels only £1.00).
- Free wifi – We all need Wifi when we travel. Every hostel will have wifi but some won't have it in the rooms, they just have it in common areas. My advice is to read some reviews on the speed of the Wifi. There's nothing worse than a slow connection.
- Kitchen – If the hostel you are staying at has a fully equipped kitchen, you can save money by cooking your own meals. Some hostels in London only have partially equipped kitchens.
- Age Restrictions – With most hostels in London, you have to be between 18 and 40 years old to stay in a dorm room. If you are want to stay in a private room, there are normally no age restrictions.
- Costs - London Hostels have some of the most expensive hostel prices in Europe. In bed in a dorm room starts at €15 per night (normally large dorm rooms), but expect to pay €25 to €40 per night in a medium-sized dorm room (6 to 10 beds) in high season. As with all other major cities in Europe prices at the weekend tend to be 20% to 40% higher. Check HostelWorld to get exact prices for your dates.
The 6 Best Hostels in London
1. Best Hostels in London | Wombats City Hostel London
Wombats City Hostel London is the best hostel in London. They have been setting the standard for hostels in London ever since it opened its doors in 2014. It's very close to a load of London's main tourist sights.
This hostel has all the amenities you would expect including a large onsite bar, a beautiful courtyard, a cosy common area beside the lobby.
Dorms from €20.90 & Privates from €129.00
2. Hostels in London | Astor Museum Inn
Astor Museum Inn is a multi-award winning hostel, located in the heart of London only a stone's throw from British Museum and just a short walk to some of London's most famous attractions such as Piccadilly Circus, Trafalgar Square and Covent Garden.
The hostel has a fully equipped kitchen with large refrigerators to store your food and drink and all you can eat Breakfast is available for only £1.00.
Dorms from €21.80
Check Latest Prices on Hostelworld
3. Best Hostels in London | SoHostel
SoHostel is yet another hostel in a central location, within walking distance of Oxford Street, Soho Square, Piccadilly and Leicester Square.
SoHostel Breakfast is also only £1 and in their onsite bar, you can enjoy Happy Hour with half-price drinks, live music and karaoke nights.
Dorms from €18.30
Check Latest Prices on Hostelworld
4. Hostels in London | Palmers Lodge
If you are looking for an authentic London experience, Palmers Lodge is the place for you as it is situated in a Victorian mansion dating back to 1882. While it's not as close to the centre as some other hostels, it is very easy to get around London via the Tube (London's Underground Transport). Swiss Cottage or Finchley Road Tube stations are only 200 metres away.
The hostel has many common rooms including a Victorian-style living room. You can take advantage of their 5-hour Happy Hour at their bar (Swiss Bar). This is the best cheap hostel in London with prices starting at only €15 in the off-season.
Dorms from €15.00 & Privates from €77.00
The Best Travel Backpack!
Are you looking for the perfect travel backpack? Well look no further as The Nomatic Travel Bag is simply the best Travel Bag/Backpack on the market. This 30L carry-on travel bag is super durable, water resistant and has over 20 cool features.
5. Best Hostels in London | Astor Hyde Park
Astor Hyde Park is located in the upmarket Kensington area of London, right the famous Hyde Park. This is the second Astor hostel on our list. Astor hostels in London get good reviews across the board and seem like a very well ran hostel group.
The hostel has a fully equipped guest kitchen and breakfast is served daily for an extra fee of only £1.
Dorms from €18.70 & Privates from €83.00
6. Hostels in London | St Christopher's Village
St Christopher's Village is very close to London Bridge in the centre of London. The hostel is only a 2-minute walk from two tube stations making it easy to get around London.
This hostel offers guests Japanese-style capsule beds with USB ports, cool mood lighting and privacy curtains. St Christopher's Village has a reputation for being the best party hostel in London.
Dorms from €15.30 & Privates from €67.00
I hope this list of the best hostels in London helps you pick a hostel that best suits your needs during your stay in London. In general, the overall standard of hostels in London is mediocre at best but there are some very good ones as well. Hopefully, this list will help you avoid bad and mediocre hostels to ensure you enjoy your stay in London.
Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means that if you book your accommodation, BHE earns a small commission at no extra cost to you. Your support is much appreciated and helps to keep the site going.