Last Updated on
Best Hostels in Paris
Check out our picks for the Best Hostels in Paris, France. Paris has exactly 140 hostels and we have narrowed this down to the 10 best hostels in Paris.
General Info on Hostels in Paris
Unfortunately, a lot of hostels in Paris are of a mediocre standard at best. The rooms can be confined, the stairways very tight and in general a lot of the hostels are very ran down. But don't let this put you off booking a hostel as Paris also has some excellent hostels. Les Piaules is a truly exceptional hostel making it easily the best hostel in Paris.
The hostel market in Paris is dominated by one chain of hostels (Hiphophostels) and 3 super hostels (St Christopher's Inn Canal, St Christopher's Inn Gare du Nord & Generator Paris).
- Check-in/Check-out times - Check-out time for most hostels in Paris is 12 noon. Check-in time for most hostels is between 2 pm and 4 pm. Please note that nearly every hostel in Paris offers Free Luggage storage before or after you check-in or out.
- Curfews - Some hostels in Paris still have a curfew in place, normally 12 midnight. But more and more Paris hostels are getting rid of this outdated policy.
- Cleaning - Some hostels close from 12 noon to 4 pm for cleaning.
- Free breakfast - Only some hostels in Paris include breakfast in the price. If it is included in the price this saves you on the cost of breakfast. However, most hostels offer breakfast normally for a reasonable price.
- Free wifi - We all need Wifi when we travel. Every hostel will have wifi but some won't have it in the rooms, they just have it in common areas. My advice is to read some reviews on the speed of the Wifi. Also, there's nothing worse than a slow connection.
- Kitchen - If the hostel you are staying at has a fully equipped kitchen, you can save money by cooking your own meals. Some hostels in Paris only have partially equipped kitchens and some have no guest kitchen.
- Age Restrictions - With most hostels in Paris, you have to be between 18 and 39 years old, but with some youth hostels, you have to be under 35 to stay in a dorm. However, if you are want to stay in a private room, there are normally no age restrictions.
- Costs - Paris Hostels have some of the most expensive hostel prices in Europe. In bed in a dorm room starts at €20 per night (normally in large dorm rooms), but expect to pay €26 to €40 per night in a medium-sized dorm room (6 to 10 beds). Please note that some hostels in Paris don't include the city tax (€1.90 per night) in the price. As with all other major cities in Europe prices at the weekend tend to be 20% to 40% higher. Prices will also at more expensive around holiday periods.
1. Best Hostels in Paris - Les Piaules
Les Piaules is easily the best hostel in Paris and one of the best in Europe. This is a newly renovated hostel located in an art deco building. The hostel has a rooftop terrace where you can enjoy fantastic panoramic views of some of Paris's most iconic monuments. They have fast free WiFi, late check-out (until 12 am), custom bunk beds (with privacy curtains, reading light, your own power socket, private lockers and a comfy mattress) and one of the coolest bars in town.
Les Piaules is located in the arty district of Belleville which features many bars and coffee shops and is close to all must-see tourist sights in Paris (50m from Belleville metro hub). The property is less than 10 minutes to the centre of Paris where you can easily walk to many of Paris's most famous tourist attractions.
If you are thinking of splashing out on a Private Room, then Les Piaules is the place for you as they have some beautifully designed Private Rooms.
Prices: Dorms from €34.30
Nearest Metro Stop: Belleville
Address: 59 Boulevard de Belleville, 75011 Paris, France.
2. Best Hostels in Paris - Le Village Montmartre
The Village is located in one of Paris's best-known districts: Montmartre which is very close to the centre of Paris. You can stroll the picturesque streets of Montmartre or relax on their rooftop terrace.
They have all the services you would expect in an international hostel such as Free Wifi, Breakfast (extra fee €6), a Fully Equipped Kitchen and Common Areas. They also have an on-site bar called "On The Road Pub" where every guest gets a free shot upon arrival.
Prices: Dorms from €49.00
Nearest Metro Stop: Anvers
Address: 20 Rue d'Orsel, 75018 Paris, France.
3. Best Hostels in Paris - FIAP Jean Monnet
FIAP is situated in the 14th district of Paris and only 20 minutes walk the Eiffel Tower. The hostel has a very relaxed atmosphere in a quiet area close to a metro station (Saint-Jacques).
Breakfast is included in the price as are Towels and linen. There are many common areas including the beautiful outdoor terrace. The dorm rooms appear to be pricey but you have to consider the breakfast is free and all dorm rooms have only 4 beds.
Please note that dorm rooms are only available for the guests aged between 18 and 30 years.
Prices: Dorms from €44.00
Nearest Metro Stop: Saint-Jacques
Address: 30 Rue Cabanis, 75014 Paris, France.
4. Best Hostels in Paris - The 3 Ducks Eiffel Tower
The 3 Ducks is located in the heart of Paris just 20 minutes away from the iconic Eiffel Tower. The 3 Ducks is the oldest private hostel in France and was completely renovated in 2014. This is a friendly hostel has a bar and a beautiful outdoor terrace.
Dorm beds come with USB ports to charge your phone or camera, free Wifi and an individual reading lamp. Other services including a shared kitchen, a 24-hour reception and an on-site ATM.
Prices: Dorms from €32.00
Nearest Metro Stop: Commerce
Address: 6 Place Etienne Pernet, 75015 Paris, France.
5. Best Hostels in Paris - St Christopher's Inn Canal
St Christopher's Inn Canal is a super hostel located on Rue de Crimée, just three stops from the main train station and just a 5-minute walk to the Crimée Métro stop.
The dorm rooms are modern and fresh and each bed has its own reading light, two power sockets and a privacy curtain. Their famous Belushi's bar is downstairs and all hostel guests get generous discounts on food and drink. They also have a huge
St Christopher's also have another location in Paris (St Christopher's Inn Gare du Nord), close to the Main Train Train. The hostel is equally as good.
Prices: Dorms from €21.00
Nearest Metro Stop: Crimée
Address: 159 Rue de Crimée, 75019 Paris, France.
The Best Travel Backpack!
Are you looking for the perfect travel backpack? Well look no further as The Nomatic Travel Bag is simply the best Travel Bag/Backpack on the market. This 30L carry-on travel bag is super durable, water resistant and has over 20 cool features.
6. Best Hostels in Paris - Generator Paris
The stylish Generator Hostel is also located beside the Gare du Nord train station (a 15-minute walk away). Generator Hostel is yet another state of the art hostel that provides guests with a unique hostel experience.
Their services include Free Wifi, Air Conditioning, 24/7 Reception, Laundry Facilities, Tours Desk, On-site Mini-Supermarket and Vending Machines.
However check-out is at 10 am, there is no shared kitchen and guests are not allowed to bring in their own food.
Prices: Dorms from €25.00
Nearest Metro Stop: Colonel Fabien
Address: 9-11 Place du Colonel Fabien, 75010 Paris, France.
7. Best Hostels in Paris - Caulaincourt Montmartre
Caulaincourt Montmartre Hostel is located in Montmartre one of the most magical and awe inspiring district in Paris. The hostel is only a 3 minute walk to the infamous Sacre Coeur monument. This is a clean and friendly hostel.
The offer 3-bed mixed and female-only dorm rooms. All rooms come with free Wifi and free linen (Pillows, blankets and fitted sheets). A free french style breakfast is served daily.
Prices: Dorms from €37.00
Nearest Metro Stop: Château Rouge
Address: 2 Square Caulaincourt, 75018 Paris, France.
8. Best Hostels in Paris - The Loft Boutique Hostel Paris
THE LOFT hostel is located in Belleville, a vibrant Parisian neighbourhood full of cool bars, restaurants and clubs. Their friendly staff will give you advice on anything you need to know about Paris.
THE LOFT offers 4, 6 and 8-bed mixed dorms. The hostel has it's own bar and a beautiful outdoor patio.
Prices: Dorms from €19.90
Nearest Metro Stop: Pyrénées
Address: 70 Rue Julien Lacroix, 75020 Paris, France.
9. Best Hostels in Paris - Vintage Paris Gare du Nord
Vintage Paris Gare du Nord Hostel is only a 10-minute walk from the main train station (Gare du Nord) and only a 10-minute walk to the hip neighbourhood to Pigalle where you can find many lively bars and restaurants and the famous Moulin Rouge.
They have mixed and female-only comfy dorm rooms. All dorm rooms have en-suite bathrooms. Their reception is open 24/7 meaning there's no curfew. They also have a good on-site bar and vending machines.
Prices: Dorms from €24.75
Nearest Metro Stop: Anvers
Address: 73 Rue de Dunkerque, 75009 Paris, France.
10. Best Hostels in Paris - MIJE Marais
MIJE Hostel is located in the centre of the Marais district. It's is ideally located as it's only a 10-minute walk to Notre Dame, the Opéra Bastille, Ile Saint-Louis etc. The hostel is well secured and reception is open 24/7.
They provide 10-bed male-only and 10-bed female-only dorms. There are many common areas including their beautiful courtyard. A continental breakfast is included in the price.
Prices: Dorms from €25.00
Nearest Metro Stop: Pont Marie
Address: 11 Rue du Fauconnier, 75004 Paris, France.
I hope this list of the best hostels in Paris helps you pick a hostel that best suits your needs during your stay in Paris. In general, the overall standard of hostels in Paris is not great but there are some excellent hostels. Hopefully, this list will help you avoid bad and mediocre hostels to ensure you enjoy your stay in Paris.
Book Your Trip to Paris
Book Your Accommodation
Recommended Tours in Paris
I recommend GetYourGuide for Tours. They offer highly unique tours with Local Guides. Below are a selection of some of the most popular tours in Paris.
- Ultimate Louvre: Fast-Track Guided Tour With Ticket - Head in faster and see art from an expert’s perspective, follow a smart route through the Louvre to get up close to “Mona Lisa”, with time to stop and take photos.
- Ultimate Versailles: Skip-the-Line Guided Tour - Enjoy an exclusive guided tour of one of the largest palaces in the world.
- Louvre Museum Timed-Entrance Ticket - Benefit from a dedicated skip the queue ticket entrance to the Louvre Museum in Paris, and enjoy more time to see the artistic masterpieces such as Leonardo da Vinci's Mona Lisa in one of the world’s greatest museums.
- Paris Catacombs Skip-the-Line Ticket - Skip the queue to the Paris Catacombs and discover a darker side to the “City of Lights.” Descend beneath the streets of Paris.
- Moulin Rouge Show with Champagne - Revel in the sumptuous settings of the Moulin Rouge, the world-renowned cabaret in Paris.
Don’t Forget Travel Insurance
Travel insurance will protect you against illness, injury, theft, cancellations and much more. I recommend World Nomads Travel Insurance.
Disclosure: Please note that some of the links above may be affiliate links, and at no additional cost to you, BHE earns a commission if you make a purchase. Your support is much appreciated and helps to keep the site going.