Last Updated on
Best Hostels in Paris
Check out our picks for the Best Hostels in Paris, France. Paris has exactly 140 hostels and we have narrowed this down to the best six hostels.
Unfortunately, hostels in Paris are of a mediocre standard at best. The rooms can be confined, the stairways very tight and in general a lot of the hostels are very ran down. But don't let this put you off booking a hostel as Paris also has some excellent hostels including Les Piaules which is a truly exceptional hostel making it easily the best hostel in Paris.
The hostel market in Paris is dominated by one chain of hostels (Hiphophostels) and 3 super hostels (St Christopher's Inn Canal, St Christopher's Inn Gare du Nord & Generator Paris).
When choosing a hostel in Paris or any other city, you should consider the following:
- Check-in/Check-out times – Check-out time for most hostels in Paris is 12 noon. Check-in time for most hostels is between 2 pm and 4 pm. Please note that nearly every hostel in Paris offers Free Luggage storage before or after you check in or out.
- Curfews - Some hostels in Paris still have a curfew in place, normally 12 midnight. But more and more Paris hostels are getting rid of this outdated policy.
- Cleaning - Some hostels close from 12 noon to 4 pm for cleaning.
- Free breakfast – Only some hostels in Paris include breakfast in the price. If it is included in the price this saves you on the cost of breakfast. However, most hostels offer breakfast normally for a reasonable price.
- Free wifi – We all need Wifi when we travel. Every hostel will have wifi but some won't have it in the rooms, they just have it in common areas. My advice is to read some reviews on the speed of the Wifi. There's nothing worse than a slow connection.
- Kitchen – If the hostel you are staying at has a fully equipped kitchen, you can save money by cooking your own meals. Some hostels in Paris only have partially equipped kitchens.
- Age Restrictions – With most hostels in Paris, you have to be between 18 and 39 years old, but with some youth hostel, you have to be under 35 to stay in a dorm. If you are want to stay in a private room, there are normally no age restrictions.
- Costs - Paris Hostels have some of the most expensive hostel prices in Europe. In bed in a dorm room starts at €15 per night (normally large dorm rooms), but expect to pay €20 to €40 per night in a medium sized dorm room (6 to 10 beds). As with all other major cities in Europe prices at the weekend tend to be 20% to 40% higher.
The 6 Best Hostels in Paris
1. Les Piaules
Les Piaules is the best hostel in Paris and one of the best in Europe. This is a newly renovated hostel located in an art deco building. The hostel has a rooftop terrace where you can enjoy fantastic panoramic views of some of Paris's most iconic monuments, fast free WiFi, late check-out (until 12am), custom bunk beds (with privacy curtains, reading light, your own power socket, private lockers and a comfy mattress) and the hippest bar in town.
Les Piaules is located in the arty district of Belleville which features many bars and coffee shops and is close to all must-see tourist sights in Paris (50m from Belleville metro hub). The property is less than 10 minutes to the centre of Paris where you can easily walk to many of Paris's most famous tourist attractions.
If you are thinking of splashing out on a Private Room, then Les Piaules is the place for you as they have some beautifully designed Private Rooms.
Prices: Dorms from €25.30 & Privates from €121.00
Nearest Metro Stop: Belleville
Address: 59 Boulevard de Belleville, 75011 Paris, France.
FIAP is situated in the 14th district of Paris and only 20 minutes by metro to the Latin Quarter, Le Louvre and the Eiffel Tower. The hostel has a very relaxed atmosphere in a quiet area close to a metro station (Saint-Jacques).
Breakfast is included in the price as are Towels and linen. There are many common areas including the beautiful outdoor terrace.
Please note that dorm rooms are only available for the guests aged between 18 and 30 years.
Prices: Dorms from €31.00 & Private from €77.00
Nearest Metro Stop: Saint-Jacques
Address: 30 Rue Cabanis, 75014 Paris, France.
The Village is located in one of Paris's best-known districts: Montmartre which is very close to the centre of Paris. You can stroll the picturesque streets of Montmartre or relax on their rooftop terrace.
They have all the services you would expect in an international hostel such as Free Wifi, Breakfast (extra fee €6), Fully Equiped Kitchen and Common Areas. They also have an on-site bar called "On The Road Pub" where every guest gets a free shot upon arrival.
Prices: Dorms from €36.00 & Privates from €209.00 (5 people)
Nearest Metro Stop: Anvers
Address: 20 Rue d'Orsel, 75018 Paris, France.
The 3 Ducks is located in the heart of Paris just 20 minutes away from the iconic Eiffel Tower. The 3 Ducks is the oldest private hostel in France and was completely renovated in 2014. This is a friendly hostel has a bar and a beautiful outdoor terrace.
Dorm beds come with USB ports to charge your phone or camera, free Wifi and an individual reading lamp. Other services including a shared kitchen, a 24-hour reception and an on-site ATM.
Prices: Dorms from €36.00
Nearest Metro Stop: Commerce
Address: 6 Place Etienne Pernet, 75015 Paris, France.
St Christopher's Inn Canal is a super hostel located on Rue de Crimée, just three stops from the main train station and just a 5-minute walk to the Crimée Métro stop.
The dorm rooms are modern and fresh and each bed has its own reading light, two power sockets and a privacy curtain. Their famous Belushi's bar is downstairs and all hostel guests get generous discounts on food and drink. They also have a huge
St Christopher's also is at another location in Paris (St Christopher's Inn Gare du Nord), close to the Main Train Train. The hostel is equally as good.
Prices: Dorms from €14.90 & Privates from €58.00
Nearest Metro Stop: Crimée
Address: 159 Rue de Crimée, 75019 Paris, France.
The stylish Generator Hostel is also located beside the Gare du Nord train station (a 15-minute walk away). Generator Hostel is yet another state of the art hostel that provides guests with a unique hostel experience.
Their services include Free Wifi, Air Conditioning, 24/7 Reception, Laundry Facilities, Tours Desk, On-site Mini-Supermarket and Vending Machines.
However check-out is at 10 am, there is no shared kitchen and guest are not allowed to bring in their own food.
Prices: Dorms from €21.00 & Privates from €105.00
Nearest Metro Stop: Colonel Fabien
Address: 9-11 Place du Colonel Fabien, 75010 Paris, France.
Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means that if you book your accommodation, BHE earns a small commission at no extra cost to you. Your support is much appreciated and helps to keep the site going.