The Best Hostels in Berlin
This a guide to the Best Hostels in Berlin, Germany and some of them offer very good value starting from only €10 per night for a bed in a dorm room.
Berlin is one of the most amazing cities in Europe with its enormous history. Berlin is also renowned for it's buzzing nightlife scene and it's many amazing tourist sights.
The famous Checkpoint Charlie in Berlin
As Berlin is one of the most popular backpacking destinations in Europe, there is a large selection of hostels. Berlin has 101 hostels, so choosing a hostel that meets all your needs can be difficult. Our list tries to help you with this. Obviously, hostels in the centre (Mitte) are going to be more expensive so my advice is to consider a hostel in a more local district such as Friedrichshain or Kreuzberg but with easy access to the centre via public transport.
When choosing a hostel in Berlin or any other city, you should consider the following:
- Check out time - Check out time for most hostels in Berlin is 11 am, but at some hostels, the check out time is 10 am. Some hostels offer a late check but for an extra fee. You will have to consult with them while you are there though. Please note that nearly every hostel in Berlin offers Free Luggage storage before or after you check in or out. But it's also worth double checking this if you require this service.
- Free breakfast - Only some hostels in Berlin include breakfast in the price. If it is included in the price this saves you on the cost of breakfast.
- Free wifi - We all need Wifi when we travel. Every hostel will have wifi but some won't have it in the rooms, they just have it in common areas. My advice is to read some reviews on the speed of the Wifi. There's nothing worse than a slow connection.
- Kitchen - If the hostel you are staying at has a fully equipped kitchen, you can save money by cooking your own meals. Some hostels in Berlin only have partially equipped kitchens.
- Costs - Berlin Hostels have some of the cheapest prices for a major city in Western Europe. In bed in a dorm room starts at €8 per night (normally large dorm rooms), but expect to pay €20 per night in a medium sized dorm room (8 to 10 beds). Cheaper hostels generally have poor reviews, but some highly rated hostels are also cheap. As with all other major cities in Europe prices at the weekend tend to be 20% to 40% higher.
Best Hostels in Berlin by Category
- Best Hostel in Berlin - EastSeven Berlin Hostel
- Best Hostel for Solo Female Travelers in Berlin - MEININGER Berlin Central Station
- Best Cheap Hostel in Berlin - St. Christopher’s Berlin
- Best Hostel for Digital Nomads in Berlin - Pfefferbett Hostel
- Best Party Hostel in Berlin - St. Christopher’s Berlin
- Best Design Hostel in Berlin - The Cat's Pajamas Hostel
- Best Luxury Hostel in Berlin - MEININGER Berlin Alexanderplatz
The 10 Best Hostels in Berlin
1. Best Hostels in Berlin - EastSeven Berlin Hostel
EastSeven Berlin Hostel is conveniently located between the Mitte and charming Prenzlauer Berg districts, surrounded by cafés, restaurants, bars and clubs. If you stay here you will also be within walking distance of Alexander Platz and Museum Island.
All rooms include comfy beds with a reading light, locker and a power outlet. Free Wifi access is available throughout the hostel. Other features included late check-out, free luggage storage, walking tours, bike rentals, but their standout feature is their beautiful outdoor terrace.
Dorms from €16.50 & Privates from €41.00
Schwedter Str. 7, 10119 Berlin.
2. Best Hostels in Berlin - The Circus Hostel
Circus Hostel is one of the most popular hostels in Berlin and is situated in a very central location. The hostel has it's own Café & Microbrewery with special drink offers and home-brewed beer.
Circus Hotel offers 5 & 10 bed mixed dorm rooms and a wide variety of private rooms. The hostel's amenities/service include Free Wi-Fi, 24-7 reception, luggage storage, safe & personal lockers, bike rentals, secure keycard access and free walking tours.
Dorms from €20.00 & Privates from €57.00
Weinbergsweg 1A, 10119 Berlin.
3. Best Hostels in Berlin - Pfefferbett Hostel
Pfefferbett Hostel is located in the hip district, Prenzlauer Berg surrounded by galleries, cool bars and restaurants. The dorm rooms have awesome brick vaulted ceilings and each bed has its own locker, reading light and power socket.
Pfefferbett Hostel offers 4 and 6-bed dorm rooms. Services/amenities include free Wifi throughout the building, free City Maps, free city tour, keycard access, common room, a beautiful outdoor terrace and an on-site Cafe/Bar & Restaurant.
Dorms from €15.20 & Privtes from €59.00
Christinenstraße 18-19, 10119 Berlin.
4. Best Hostels in Berlin - PLUS Berlin
PLUS Berlin is located in the hip Friedrichshain district, a neighbourhood filled with cool cafés and bars. They have a beautiful onsite Bar and Restaurant called Opera and an indoor swimming pool.
They offer 4 and 6-bed dorms as well as a variety of private rooms. They also offer female only dorm rooms making it ideal for the solo female traveller. Amenities include free wifi, free City Maps, laundry facilities, luggage storage and vending machines.
Dorms from €12.00 & Privates from €44.00
Warschauer Plaza 6, 10245 Berlin.
5. Best Hostels in Berlin - MEININGER Berlin Alexanderplatz
This hostel is located in the central district, Prenzlauer Berg which makes it ideal for exploring all the tourist sights of Berlin. The state of the art designed pod style dorms with each bed having it own writing light and power outlet.
They offer 6 bed mixed dorms and a variety of private rooms. Services/facilities include free Wifi, free city maps, common room, security lockers, keycard access, luggage storage, 24-hour reception, Bar/Cafe and a vending machine.
Dorms from €10.00 & Privates from €75.00
Schönhauser Allee 19, 10435 Berlin.
6. Best Hostels in Berlin - Wombats City Hostel Berlin
Wombats City Hostel Berlin is an award-winning hostel located in the heart of the Berlin close to Alexanderplatz, Museum Island and Prenzlauer Berg. Enjoy a drink at their awesome rooftop terrace and take in incredible panoramic views of the whole city.
They offer 4 & 6 bed mixed dorms, female only which are ideal for the solo female traveller, private rooms and apartments. Services/facilities include free wifi, free city maps, security lockers, secure keycard access, a fully equipped guest kitchen, laundry facilities, luggage storage, 24 Hour reception and vending machines.
Dorms from €13.50 & Privates from €72.00
Alte Schönhauser Str. 2, 10119 Berlin.
7. Best Hostels in Berlin - Grand Hostel Berlin Classic
Grand Hostel Berlin is located very close to the centre of Berlin. It's within walking distance from the Jewish Museum, Checkpoint Charlie and the Brandenburg Gates. In 2016 it was voted the best hostel in Berlin and the best hostel in Germany.
Every morning you can tuck into a large all you can eat breakfast buffet (€ 6.60). All dorm rooms have single beds (no bunks) and there are hairdryers in all bathrooms. The rooms are spacious and are keycard access giving you extra security. They have their own Tour Guides and Bicycle rental is also available. In the evening you can relax in their cosy bar.
Dorms from €13.40 & Privates from €49.00
Tempelhofer Ufer 14, 10963 Berlin.
8. Best Hostels in Berlin - The Cat's Pajamas Hostel
If you want to stay in a more local district of Berlin, then The Cat's Pajamas Hostel is the perfect place for you. It's located in the hip Kreuzberg district and is surrounded by bars, restaurants, galleries and shops. It's to get to the centre via the U-Bahn (Underground).
All rooms include their own shower and ensuite bathroom, hairdryer and towels. Private rooms also have cable-TV. Lockers are available in the dorm rooms and at the reception area for each guest. All guests have the use of a modern fully equipped kitchen.
Dorms from €16.00 & Privates from €55.00
Urbanstraße 84, 10967 Berlin.
9. Best Hostels in Berlin - St Christopher's Berlin
St Christopher's Berlin is part of a very popular hostel chain in Europe. As with all their other hostels, St Christopher's Berlin offers a very high standard of accommodation that caters to any budget. They are located in the centre of Berlin close to all the major tourist attractions. The Rosa-Luxemburg-Platz U-Bahn station is just steps away from the hostel.
This is a super hostel that includes a bar (Belushi's) and a restaurant. All hostel guests get a 25% discount on food from their onsite restaurant. All bed linen is free and free Wifi is provided throughout the building. All beds (including dorm beds) have their own reading lamp and power socket.
Dorms from €8.90 & Privates from €47.00
Rosa-Luxemburg-Straße 41, 10178 Berlin.
10. Best Hostels in Berlin - MEININGER Berlin Central Station
MEININGER Berlin Central Station as it says in the name is located right Berlin's Main Train Station (Berliner Hauptbahnhof) bang in the middle of Berlin and it's beside many of Berlin Top Tourist Sights.
This hostel more like a hotel that just happens to have dorm rooms. The rooms have a very modern and chic design and all beds have a separate night lamp and power point and all rooms have their own bathroom with a shower and toilet, and TV. All their dorm rooms have only 4 beds and some of these are female only dorms making them ideal for the solo female traveller. You can also take advantage of their fully equipped guest kitchen and large common areas.
Dorms from €17.30 & Privates from €69.00
Ella-Trebe-Straße 9, 10557 Berlin.
Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means that if you book your accommodation, BHE earns a small commission at no extra cost to you. Your support is much appreciated and helps to keep the site going. Thanks for the Support!