Last Updated on
Best Hostels in Athens
Check out our picks for the Best Hostels in Athens, Greece. Athens has many hostels and we have narrowed this down to the best six Hostels. This is a list of the best hostels to consider booking when travelling to Athens on a backpacker budget.
General Info on Hostels in Athens
- Check out time – Check out time for most hostels in Athens is 11 am, but at some hostels, the check out time is 10 am. Some hostels offer a late check but for an extra fee. You will have to consult with them on this while you are there though. Please note that nearly every hostel in Athens offers Free Luggage storage before or after you check in or out. But it's also worth double checking on it if you require this service.
- Free breakfast – Only some hostels in Athens include breakfast in the price. If it is included in the price this saves you on the cost of breakfast.
- Free WiFi – We all need WiFi while we travel. Every hostel will have WiFi but some won't have it in the rooms, they just have it in common areas. My advice is to read some reviews on the speed of the Wifi. There's nothing worse than a slow connection.
- Kitchen – If the hostel you are staying at has a fully equipped kitchen, you can save money by cooking your own meals. Some hostels in Athens have no kitchens, others have partially equipped kitchens and some hostels have large fully equipped kitchens with a dining area.
- Age Restrictions – With most hostels in Athens, you have to be between 18 and 39 years old, but with some youth hostel, you have to be under 35 to stay in a dorm. If you want to stay in a private room in a hostel, there are normally no age restrictions.
- Costs - In bed in a dorm room starts at only €10 per night (normally in large dorm rooms), but expect to pay between €15 to €22 per night in a medium sized dorm room (6 to 10 beds). Cheaper hostels generally have poor reviews, but some highly rated hostels are also cheap. As with all other major cities in Europe prices at the weekend or at holiday periods tend to be 20% to 40% higher.
1. Best Hostels in Athens - City Circus Athens
City Circus is a newly renovated boutique hostel located bang in the centre of Athens. Here you will be able to enjoy panoramic views of the Acropolis. This cosy hostel also comes with its own on-site restaurant.
They offer spacious 4 or 6 people dorm rooms. All beds and mattresses are custom-built in order to ensure maximum comfort. They have air-conditioning in all rooms and common areas for those warmer than average days or nights.
- Roof terrace with a stunning view of the Acropolis
- Delicious breakfast
- Super friendly staff
Dorms from €19.00
2. Best Hostels in Athens - Athens Studios
Athens Studios is known for its excellent facilities and superb location.
They have everything you will need during your stay in Athens including a Cafe/Restaurant, 2 bars, a Laundromat, Luggage Storage and the front desk is opened 24/7.
- On-site (Athens) Sports Bar
Dorms from €17.50
3. Best Hostels in Athens - Athens Backpackers
Athens Backpackers is set in a great central location, just between the Temple of Olympian Zeus and the Acropolis. This hostel features free Wi-Fi, free breakfast and a rooftop sports bar.
They have a large choice of dorm rooms. They also offer female-only dorms ideal for the solo female traveller. All dorm rooms have en-suite bathrooms. High-speed Wi-Fi is throughout the hostel. A free breakfast is served daily.
- Rooftop sports bar
- Free breakfast
Dorms from €15.70
The Best Travel Backpack!
Are you looking for the perfect travel backpack? Well look no further as The Nomatic Travel Bag is simply the best Travel Bag/Backpack on the market. This 30L carry-on travel bag is super durable, water resistant and has over 20 cool features.
4. Best Hostels in Athens - Students and Travellers Inn
Students and Travellers Inn is one of the oldest hostels in Athens. It's been around since 1977. They provide essentials such as free Wi-Fi and hot showers. They also provide unique extras like beer vending machines, a courtyard with a big-screen TV and a garden bar with shisha. It's just a 15 minutes walk to Athens' top archaeological sites: the Acropolis, Ancient Agora and the Temple of Olympian Zeus.
They offer mixed and female-only dorms all have heating and air-con. They come with either en-suite or shared bathrooms. Kick-start your day with breakfast (extra fee) in their café.
- Beer vending machines
- Garden bar
Dorms from €11.00
5. Best Hostels in Athens - Pella-Inn Hostel
At the Pella-Inn Hostel, you will enjoy panoramic views of ancient Athens from their rooftop bar. Located in the Athen's old town, it's only a 15-minute walk to many of the historic sights.
Their mixed and female-only dorms also come with free linen and towels. This is the best cheap hostel in Athens.
- Their rooftop bar
Dorms from €10.50
6. Best Hostels in Athens - Athenstyle
Athenstyle is a relaxed, friendly and chilled out hostel located less than 10 minutes' walk from most of Athens most famous sights. They offer a very economical breakfast costing only 4 EUR. The Rooftop Bar is fully covered. From here you can enjoy 360⁰ views of Athens.
The hostel is set in three adjacent buildings. Other services include Free Wi-Fi, Guest computers, Rooftop Bar & Cafe, 24-hour reception, a common kitchen, lobby and a basement lounge.
- Their Rooftop Bar (opened year-round)
Dorms from €19.70
I hope this list of the best hostels in Athens helps you pick a hostel that best suits your needs during your stay in Athens. In general the overall standard of hostels in Athens is good but there are still some bad hostels. Hopefully this list will help you avoid bad or mediocre hostels to ensure you enjoy your stay in Athens.
Book Your Trip to Athens
Book Your Accommodation
Recommended Tours in Athens
I recommend GetYourGuide for Tours. They offer highly unique tours with Local Guides. Below are a selection of some of the most interesting tours in Athens.
- Acropolis Small-Group Guided Tour with Entry Ticket - Skip the ticket lines to the Acropolis and see the most famous monuments of Athens.
- Athens: Morning Bike Tour - See the sights of Athens by eco-friendly bike at a relaxed pace on a 3.5-hour sightseeing tour. Pedal past must-see locations and hidden spots, including the Panathenaic Stadium and Roman Agora. Get insider tips about the city from a local guide.
- Original Gourmet Food Tour of Athens - Discover Athens through its food culture and taste superb Greek pastries, wine, cheese and salamis. Enjoy an authentic Greek breakfast, visit traditional food stores and try mouth-watering Greek desserts.
- Delphi Guided Day Trip from Athens - Take a trip to the centre of the Ancient Greek universe on a full-day tour of Delphi. Site of the oracle, and heart of the classical Greek world, explore the hilltop museum and ruins, famous for its amphitheatre, and Temple of Apollo.
- Full Day Trip to Nafplio and Ancient Epidaurus - Enjoy a colourful day at the coastal city of Nafplio, the first capital of Greece, to discover its rich architecture and admire the various monuments still standing and the famous ancient theatre of Epidaurus.
Don’t Forget Travel Insurance
Travel insurance will protect you against illness, injury, theft, cancellations and much more. I recommend World Nomads Travel Insurance.
Disclosure: Please note that some of the links above may be affiliate links, and at no additional cost to you, BHE earns a commission if you make a purchase. Your support is much appreciated and helps to keep the site going.