Last Updated on 22nd July 2021
Best Hostels in Athens
Check out our picks for the Best Hostels in Athens, Greece. Athens has many hostels and we have narrowed this down to the best ten Hostels.
General Info on Hostels in Athens
- Check out time: Check out time for most hostels in Athens is 11 am, but at some hostels, the check out time is 10 am. Some hostels offer a late check but for an extra fee. You will have to consult with them on this while you are there though. Please note that nearly every hostel in Athens offers Free Luggage storage before or after you check-in or out. But it's also worth double checking on it if you require this service.
- Free breakfast: Only some hostels in Athens include breakfast in the price. If it is included in the price this saves you on the cost of breakfast.
- Free WiFi: We all need WiFi while we travel. Every hostel will have WiFi but some won't have it in the rooms, they just have it in common areas. My advice is to read some reviews on the speed of the Wifi. There's nothing worse than a slow connection.
- Guest Kitchen: If the hostel you are staying at has a fully equipped kitchen, you can save money by cooking your own meals. Some hostels in Athens have no kitchens, others have partially equipped kitchens and some hostels have large fully equipped kitchens with a dining area.
- Age Restrictions: With most hostels in Athens, you have to be between 18 and 39 years old. If you want to stay in a private room in a hostel, there are normally no age restrictions.
- Costs: In bed in a dorm room starts at only €8 per night (normally in large dorm rooms), but expect to pay between €15 to €22 per night in a medium-sized dorm room (6 to 10 beds). As with all other major cities in Europe prices at the weekend or at holiday periods tend to be 20% to 40% higher. In Athens, the city tax costs €0.50 per person/per night and this fee is often not included in the price you find on Hostelworld and other booking websites. Consider it as an extra and pay it upon arrival in cash.
The 10 Best Hostels in Athens
City Circus is a newly renovated boutique hostel located bang in the centre of Athens. Here you will be able to enjoy panoramic views of the Acropolis. This cosy hostel also comes with its own on-site restaurant.
City Circus offers spacious 4 or 6 people dorm rooms. All beds and mattresses are custom-built in order to ensure maximum comfort. They have air-conditioning in all rooms and common areas for those warmer than average days or nights.
- Roof terrace with a stunning view of the Acropolis
- Delicious breakfast
- Super friendly staff
- Dorms from €14.00
- Privates from €52.00
Athens Studios is known for its excellent facilities and superb location.
This hostel everything you will need during your stay in Athens including a Cafe/Restaurant, 2 bars, a Laundromat, Luggage Storage and the front desk is opened 24/7.
- On-site (Athens) Sports Bar
- Privates from €53.00
- Dorms from €18.00
Athens Backpackers is set in a great central location, just between the Temple of Olympian Zeus and the Acropolis. This hostel features free Wi-Fi, free breakfast and a rooftop sports bar.
Athens Backpackers have a large choice of dorm rooms. They also offer female-only dorms ideal for the solo female traveller. All dorm rooms have en-suite bathrooms. High-speed Wi-Fi is throughout the hostel. A free breakfast is served daily.
- Rooftop sports bar
- Free breakfast
- Dorms from €14.00
- Privates from €53.00
Athens Hub Hostel is a boutique hostel located in Psyri neighborhood which happens to be close to the Acropolis, Monastiraki square and Syntagma square. If you are looking for accommodation that offer more than a backpacker hostel but not at hotel prices, then Athens Hub is ideal for you.
Athens Hub Hostel was fully renovated in 2019. The dorm rooms are chic and stylish. They offer 4, 6 and 8 bed mixed dorms as well female only and private rooms. All dorm (bunk) beds come with a personal powerpoint, night light, privacy curtains, locker and high speed free Wifi. Their bar is cosy and their rooftop garden is a great place to chill out after a hard day of sightseeing.
- Super cool dorm rooms
- Rooftop garden
- Dorms from €18.00
- Privates from €72.00
Students and Travellers Inn is one of the oldest hostels in Athens. It's been around since 1977. They provide essentials such as free Wi-Fi and hot showers and also provide unique extras like beer vending machines, a courtyard with a big-screen TV and a garden bar with shisha. It's just a 15 minutes walk to Athens' top archaeological sites: the Acropolis, Ancient Agora and the Temple of Olympian Zeus.
Students and Travellers Inn offers mixed and female-only dorms all have heating and air-con. They come with either en-suite or shared bathrooms. Kick-start your day with breakfast (extra fee) in their café.
- Beer vending machines
- Garden bar
- Dorms from €17.00
- Privates from €50.00
The Best Travel Backpack!
Are you looking for the perfect travel backpack? Well look no further as The Nomatic Travel Bag is simply the best Travel Bag/Backpack on the market. This 30L carry-on travel bag is super durable, water resistant and has over 20 cool features.
At the Pella-Inn Hostel, you will enjoy panoramic views of ancient Athens from their rooftop bar. Located in the Athen's old town, it's only a 15-minute walk to many of the historic sights.
Their mixed and female-only dorms also come with free linen and towels. This is the best cheap hostel in Athens.
- Their rooftop bar
- Privates from €32.00
- Dorms from €8.00
Safestay Athens (formerly called Athenstyle Hostel) is a relaxed, friendly and chilled out hostel located less than 10 minutes' walk from most of Athens most famous sights. They offer a very economical breakfast costing only 4 EUR. The Rooftop Bar is fully covered. From here you can enjoy 360⁰ views of Athens.
The hostel is set in three adjacent buildings. Other services include Free Wi-Fi, Guest computers, Rooftop Bar & Cafe, 24-hour reception, a common kitchen, lobby and a basement lounge.
- Their Rooftop Bar (opened year-round)
- Dorms from €18.00
- Privates from €27.00
Athens Hawks Hostel is a modern and clean hostel located right in the centre of Athens. The hostel is very close to all of Athen's major tourist sights.
For backpackers, they offer spacious dorms with their own lockers, bedside lamps either. Dorms are either mixed or female only. They have an onsite bar where every guest gets a free shot upon arrival. At the bar, you can participate in different bar activities. Other activities include a free daily walking tour and cooking classes.
- Large variety of activities
- Friendly staff
- Dorms from €8.60
- Privates from €26.50
SmallFunnyWorld Athens is a chilled hostel relatively close to the centre of Athens and near most of Athen's main tourist sights. The famous Acropolis and Greek Parliament Square are only a 10-minute walk away.
Their dorm rooms are bright and very spacious. Bed linen towels and lockers come free with every dorm bed. If you are travelling to Athens on a super tight budget then SmallFunnyWorld hostel is a good option for you as it's cheap and you also get a free breakfast. You also get to use their Guest Kitchen where you can cook your own meals saving you more money.
- Rooftop terrace
- Well designed bunk beds
- Free breakfast
- Dorms from €9.00
- Privates from €30.00
Crafoord Place Hostel Athens is yet another hostel situated in the centre of Athens. The hostel is particularly close to Parthenon, Syntagma Square and Temple of Olympian Zeus.
The hostel has mixed and female-only dorm rooms. They provide a laundry service, the use of a shared kitchen and vending machines.
- Dorms from €8.90
I hope this list of the best hostels in Athens helps you pick a hostel that best suits your needs during your stay in Athens. In general, the overall standard of hostels in Athens is good but there are still some bad hostels. Hopefully, this list will help you avoid bad or mediocre hostels to ensure you enjoy your stay in Athens.
Book Your Trip to Athens
Best Website to Book a Hostel
Hostelworld is by far the biggest and the best website for booking hostels because they have the best availability and prices. The website is designed to include many filters to help find a hostel that best suits your needs. For instance, you can filter hostels by price or by rating for a particular city.
Recommended Tours in Athens
I recommend GetYourGuide for Tours. They offer highly unique tours with Local Guides. Below is a selection of some of the most interesting tours in Athens.
- Acropolis Small-Group Guided Tour with Entry Ticket - Skip the ticket lines to the Acropolis and see the most famous monuments of Athens.
- Athens: Morning Bike Tour - See the sights of Athens by eco-friendly bike at a relaxed pace on a 3.5-hour sightseeing tour. Pedal past must-see locations and hidden spots, including the Panathenaic Stadium and Roman Agora. Get insider tips about the city from a local guide.
- Original Gourmet Food Tour of Athens - Discover Athens through its food culture and taste superb Greek pastries, wine, cheese and salamis. Enjoy an authentic Greek breakfast, visit traditional food stores and try mouth-watering Greek desserts.
- Delphi Guided Day Trip from Athens - Take a trip to the centre of the Ancient Greek universe on a full-day tour of Delphi. Site of the oracle, and heart of the classical Greek world, explore the hilltop museum and ruins, famous for its amphitheatre, and Temple of Apollo.
- Full-Day Trip to Nafplio and Ancient Epidaurus - Enjoy a colourful day at the coastal city of Nafplio, the first capital of Greece, to discover its rich architecture and admire the various monuments still standing and the famous ancient theatre of Epidaurus.
Don’t Forget Travel Insurance
Travel insurance will protect you against illness, injury, theft, cancellations and much more. I recommend World Nomads Travel Insurance.
Disclosure: Please note that some of the links above may be affiliate links, and at no additional cost to you, BHE earns a commission if you make a purchase. Your support is much appreciated and helps to keep the site going.