Last Updated on
Best Hostels in Budapest
Check out our list the Best Hostels in Budapest, Hungary.
We have created is a list of the best hostels in Budapest and some of them offer very good value starting at only €6 per night for a bed in a dorm room. Budapest has 128 hostels and we have narrowed this down to the best 12.
When choosing a hostel in Budapest or any other city, you should consider the following:
- Check out time - Check out time for most hostels in Budapest is 11 am, but at some hostels, the check out time is 10 am. Some hostels offer a late check but for an extra fee. You will have to consult with them while you are there though. Please note that nearly every hostel in Budapest offers Free Luggage storage before or after you check in or out. But it's also worth double checking this if you require this service.
- Free breakfast - Only some hostels in Budapest include breakfast in the price. If it is included in the price this saves you on the cost of breakfast.
- Free wifi - We all need Wifi when we travel. Every hostel will have wifi but some won't have it in the rooms, they just have it in common areas. My advice is to read some reviews on the speed of the Wifi.
- Kitchen - If the hostel you are staying at has a fully equipped kitchen, you can save money by cooking your own meals. Some hostels in Budapest only have partially equipped kitchens.
- Costs - Hostels in Budapest are very cheap especially compared to prices in Western Europe. In bed in a dorm room starts at €6 per night (normally large dorm rooms), but expect to pay €10 to €16 per night in a medium sized dorm room (6 to 10 beds). Cheaper hostels generally have poor reviews, but some highly rated hostels are also cheap. Prices at the weekend tend to be between 20% to 40% higher. Check HostelWorld to get exact prices for your dates.
Best Hostels in Budapest by Category
- Best Hostel in Budapest - Hostel One Budapest
- Best Hostel for Solo Female Travellers - Hostel One Basilica
- Best Cheap Hostel in Budapest - Meander Hostel
- Best Party Hostel in Budapest - Grandio Party Hostel
- Best Hostel for Digital Nomads - Hostel One Basilica
- Best Design Hostel in Budapest - Flow Hostel
The 12 Best Hostels in Budapest
1. Best Hostel in Budapest - Hostel One Budapest
Hostel One Budapest is located only 300 m from the Deák Ferenc Tér metro stop, which connects to 3 of the Budapest metro lines, as well as bus and tram lines. Free WiFi is provided in all areas and guest computers are available in the lobby.
A bar serving drinks, as well as a vending machine offering snacks and beverages, can be found on site. A concentration of ruin pubs and bars can be found within 300 m of the hostel. Tickets for attractions and events around town can be booked at the hostel's 24-hour reception.
All rooms and dormitories at the Hostel One Budapest come with a locker and bed linen.
The Dohány Street Synagogue can be reached within 2 minutes on foot and the St. Stephen's Basilica is 600 meters from the hostel.
Prices: Dorms from €10.40
Address: Rumbach Sebestyen utca 6, Budapest.
2. Best Hostels in Budapest - Carpe Noctem Original
Carpe Noctem Original will change the way you think about travelling. You expect a hostel but you arrive at a mate’s place. You expect a reception desk and you get greeted with a cup of coffee.
There’s free padlock hire, free lockers, free use of our electronic staff safe, free Internet and Wi-Fi, free use of our Skype headsets, free towel hire and free tea and coffee, fully equipped kitchen, 24-hour check-in so no curfew. They use an electronic entry system with a keypad and cards so you will feel safe at all times.
Prices: Dorms from €9.90
Address: Szobi utca 5, 3/8a, Budapest.
3. Best Hostel for Solo Female Travellers - Hostel One Basilica
Hostel One Basilica has friendly international staff who are determined to show you the best possible time in Budapest. They are ideally suited for those who are looking to have a good time and have fun!
This beautiful hostel is set in one of the oldest buildings in the Budapest, with high ceilings and large spacious rooms. Each dorm room has lockers, and well designed double bunks. The hostel is in a great location as it situated right in the centre.
Amenities/features include free Wifi, free city maps, security lockers, key card access, common room and an individual reading lamp beside every bed. The hostel is very secure and rooms can only be entered via your key card.
Prices: Dorms from €10.00
Address: Bajcsy-Zsilinszky street 3., Budapest.
4. Best Hostels in Budapest - Fifth Hostel
Fifth Hostel offers free WiFi, a fully equipped kitchen, a common room with armchairs, a couch and a TV set, a washing machine and a tumble dryer.
All of our rooms contain chairs, table and individual lockers free of charges. The Hostel is fully air-conditioned.
Prices: Dorms from €12.98
Address: Rakoczi ut 38, Budapest.
5. Best Hostels in Budapest - Activity Hostel
Activity Hostel is located on the famous historical avenue, Andássy, in the heart of the city. The main tourist attractions of Budapest are within walking distance. The Activity lounge is a cosy place to meet people, where you can find board games, books and other social activities. They have free Wi-Fi, free linen, a well-equipped kitchen with free coffee, tea, oil & spices and sugar.
Prices: Dorms from €12.00
Address: Andrássy út no.7, Budapest.
6. Best Hostels in Budapest - Vitae Hostel
Vitae Hostel offers the perfect balance between providing a wide range of amenities and facilities of a large hostel but making you feel relaxed in a sociable, fun and family-esq atmosphere. Vitae’s has many common areas for you to meet and mingle with other guests. The staff will prepare cheap family-dinners for you for only the cost of the meal’s ingredients. Vitae’s 3 modern kitchens are accessible 24/7.
Prices: Dorms from €6.20
Address: Erzsebet korut 50, Budapest.
7. Best Party Hostel in Budapest - Grandio Party Hostel
Grandio Party Hostel is located in District VII which is famous for its Ruin Bars. It is very close to a metro stop (Astoria). Grandio Beer Garden (Kert) is now one of the most popular Ruin Bars in Budapest. Because of this Grandio Party Hostel is the best party hostel in Budapest. Other famous Ruin Bars such as Szimpla Kert are within walking distance.
Free Wifi is throughout, Linen is included and all room are Keycard Access only. The reception is opened 24 hours and they also provide Luggage storage.
They offer 4, 6, & 8-bed mixed dorms and some private rooms. Please note that there are age restrictions at this hostel. You must be aged between 18 and 36 to stay here.
Prices: Dorms from €6.80 Privates from €25.50
Address: Nagy Diófa u. 8, Budapest.
8. Best Design Hostel in Budapest - Flow Hostel
Flow Hostel is a premium quality accommodation in the downtown of Budapest. The hostel was opened in October of 2016, with brand new facilities, and extra services for our guests. It is situated in the historical area of Budapest, only a few minutes from Danube river and the Bar Ruin area is only a few minutes walk away.
Prices: Dorms from €7.90 & Privates (4 bed) from €43.60
Address: Gönczy Pál utca 2., Budapest.
9. Best Hostels in Budapest - The Lazy Muggle
The Lazy Muggle Hostel (formerly Central Backpack King) is surrounded by famous historical buildings such as the house of parliament, St. Stephen Basilica, National Museum, Hungarian Academy of science, Chain Bridge and the Opera House.
The hostel has a chilled out vibe and offers many freebies: free walking tours (communist tours, best photo tours etc), free Budapest travel guides and maps, free Budapest travel guides, maps and other information flyers, free coffee and tea and free Wifi.
Prices: Dorms from €10.00 & Privates from €32.00
Address: Oktober 6. utca 15., 1st floor, 5th district, Budapest.
10. Best Cheap Hostel in Budapest - Meander Hostel
Meander hostel is centrally located, close to St. Stephens Basilica, and a block from Budapest's theatre district, with its cafes, bars, restaurants and street food. This location makes it possible to walk to all the major sites in Budapest. The hostel has an indoor and courtyard common areas, a well-equipped kitchen, free tea and coffee, and the option to share a cheap communal meal every night.
Prices: Dorms from €7.75
Address: Ó Utca 37, Budapest.
11. Best Hostels in Budapest - Backpack Guesthouse / Shantee House
Shantee House hostel is in a quiet location, near the city centre and well connected with an excellent 24-hour public transport network. Easy excess to historical sites and all attractions.
During summertime for adventure and nature lovers, they offer sleeping in an enchanted Mongolian Yurt-tent dressed with comfortable beds. There are also camping facilities, hammocks available for sleeping in their garden area under the shade of a weeping willow tree.
Prices: Dorms from €13.40 & Privates from €37.20
Address: Takacs Menyhert u. 33, Budapest.
12. Best Hostels in Budapest - Boomerang Hostel & Apartments
Boomerang Hostel is conveniently located in the city centre, in a quiet street, just a few steps from spectacular St. Steven's Basilica and Parliament! They're walking distance from almost everything.
The hostel has dorms, private rooms and apartments in a tidy and home-like environment.
Prices: Dorms from €11.00 & Privates from €30.00
Address: Bank utca 7, 1st floor, Budapest.
Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means that if you book your accommodation, BHE earns a small commission at no extra cost to you. Your support is much appreciated and helps to keep the site going.