We have created is a list of the best hostels in Budapest and some of them offer very good value starting at only €6 per night for a bed in a dorm room. Budapest has 77 hostels and we have narrowed this down to the 14 best hostels in Budapest.
Overview of the Best Hostels in Budapest
Here’s an overview of the awesome Budapest hostels mentioned in this article. Scroll down if you want a full description (and more images) of each recommended hostel in Budapest.
General Info on Hostels in Budapest
- Check out time - Check out time for most hostels in Budapest is 11 am, but at some hostels, the check out time is 10 am. Some hostels offer a late check but for an extra fee. You will have to consult with them while you are there though. Please note that nearly every hostel in Budapest offers Free Luggage storage before or after you check-in or out. But it's also worth double checking this if you require this service.
- Free breakfast - Only some hostels in Budapest include breakfast in the price. If it is included in the price this saves you on the cost of breakfast.
- Free wifi - We all need Wifi when we travel. Every hostel will have wifi but some won't have it in the rooms, they just have it in common areas. My advice is to read some reviews on the speed of the Wifi.
- Kitchen - If the hostel you are staying at has a fully equipped kitchen, you can save money by cooking your own meals. Some hostels in Budapest only have partially equipped kitchens.
- Costs - Hostels in Budapest are very cheap especially compared to prices in Western Europe. In bed in a dorm room starts at €6 per night (normally large dorm rooms), but expect to pay €8 to €14 per night in a medium-sized dorm room (6 to 10 beds). You should also consider a booking a private room during your stay in Budapest as private rooms start at only €22 per night. Cheaper hostels generally have poor reviews, but some highly rated hostels are also cheap. Prices at the weekend tend to be between 20% to 40% higher. Check HostelWorld to get exact prices for your dates.
1. Best Hostels in Budapest - Hostel One Budapest
Hostel One Budapest is simply the best hostel in Budapest. It is located only 300 m from the Deák Ferenc Tér metro stop, which connects to 3 of the Budapest metro lines, as well as bus and tram lines. Free WiFi is provided in all areas and guest computers are available in the lobby.
A bar serving drinks, as well as a vending machine offering snacks and beverages, can be found on site. A concentration of ruin pubs and bars can be found within 300 m of the hostel. Tickets for attractions and events around town can be booked at the hostel's 24-hour reception.
All rooms and dormitories at the Hostel One Budapest come with a locker and bed linen. The Dohány Street Synagogue can be reached within 2 minutes on foot and the St. Stephen's Basilica is 600 meters from the hostel.
Prices: Dorms from €8.00
2. Hostels in Budapest - Hostel One Basilica
Hostel One Basilica has friendly international staff who are determined to show you the best possible time in Budapest. They are ideally suited for those who are looking to have a good time and have fun!
This beautiful hostel is set in one of the oldest buildings in the Budapest, with high ceilings and large spacious rooms. Each dorm room has lockers, and well designed double bunks. The hostel is in a great location as it situated right in the centre.
Amenities/features include free Wifi, free city maps, security lockers, key card access, common room and an individual reading lamp beside every bed. The hostel is very secure and rooms can only be entered via your key card.
Prices: Dorms from €8.00
3. Best Hostels in Budapest - Vitae Hostel
Vitae Hostel offers the perfect balance between providing a wide range of amenities and facilities of a large hostel but making you feel relaxed in a sociable, fun and family-esq atmosphere.
Vitae’s has many common areas for you to meet and mingle with other guests. The staff will prepare cheap family-dinners for you for only the cost of the meal’s ingredients. Vitae’s 3 modern kitchens are accessible 24/7.
- Their super friendly and helpful staff
Prices: Dorms from €6.00
4. Hostels in Budapest - Retox Party Hostel
Retox Party Hostel is as it says in the name is a party hostel that happens to be the best party hostel in Budapest. You can party the night away at their buzzing courtyard bar. The hostel is located in the hip Terézváros district which is close to the centre. If you need to go further afield, the Oktogon metro stop is only a 5-minute walk away.
They offer a large selection of dorm rooms including 8, 10, 12 and 14-bed mixed dorms as well as 3-bed female-only dorm rooms.
- Their courtyard beer garden
Prices: Dorms from €6.05 & Privates from €30.20
5. Best Hostels in Budapest - Pal's Hostel
Pal's Hostel is not your typical hostel in the fact they have a group of rooms spread across a few different buildings in the centre of Budapest. Their buildings are located across the road from St Stephen's Basilica. If you wish to get to any other area in Budapest, that's no problem as the Deák Ferenc tér metro station is only a 4-minute walk away. Pal's is the best hostel in Budapest for groups.
They only have mixed 4-bed mixed dorms but these very spacious and they have got single beds instead of bunks. Each bed gets their own power outlet, night light and a private locker. This is perfect for small groups (3 to 6 people) as they have many different types of apartments.
Prices: Dorms from €9.00
6. Hostels in Budapest - MEININGER Budapest Great Market Hall
The new MEININGER Budapest Great Market Hall is located on Csarnok tér next to the famous Great Market Hall (the largest and oldest indoor market in Budapest). This hostel/hotel is enormous as it comprises 184 rooms. Located close to the city centre on the Pest side of Budapest, there are many bars, restaurants, shops, and places in the area.
All mixed dormitories are equipped with a flat-screen TV, free Wi-Fi, hairdryer and private bathroom. All (bunk) beds have their own reading light, shelf and power-point. You will also get the use of their fully equipped guest kitchen. After a long day of sight-seeing, you can relax in their large common area or if you are a digital nomad you work from here.
- Their beautifully designed rooms
- Their large common area
Prices: Dorms from €8.50 & Privates from €50.50
7. Best Hostels in Budapest - Meander Hostel
Meander Hostel is centrally located, close to St. Stephens Basilica, and a block from Budapest's theatre district, with its cafes, bars, restaurants and street food. This location makes it possible to walk to all the major sites in Budapest.
The hostel has an indoor and courtyard common areas, a well-equipped kitchen, free tea and coffee, and the option to share a cheap communal meal every night.
Prices: Dorms from €6.00
The Best Travel Backpack!
Are you looking for the perfect travel backpack? Well look no further as The Nomatic Travel Bag is simply the best Travel Bag/Backpack on the market. This 30L carry-on travel bag is super durable, water resistant and has over 20 cool features.
8. Hostels in Budapest - Wombats City Hostel Budapest
Wombats City Hostel Budapest is located in the centre of Budapest bang in the heart of the city's top nightlife. When you arrive you will receive a free welcome drink. You can start your evening at their in on-site womBAR where you can avail of their happy hour(s) from 6-8 pm.
All dorm rooms have private bathrooms, smartcard access only for extra security They offer mixed or female-only dorms ideal for solo female travellers. All rooms have air conditioning for those long hot summer nights.
- Their on-site womBAR
Prices: Dorms from €7.40 & Privates from €38.60
9. Best Hostels in Budapest - Grandio Party Hostel
Grandio Party Hostel is located in District VII which is famous for its Ruin Bars. It is very close to a metro stop (Astoria). Grandio Beer Garden (Kert) is now one of the most popular Ruin Bars in Budapest. Because of this Grandio Party Hostel is the best party hostel in Budapest. Other famous Ruin Bars such as Szimpla Kert are within walking distance.
Free Wifi is throughout, Linen is included and all room are Keycard Access only. The reception is opened 24 hours and they also provide Luggage storage.
They offer 4, 6, & 8-bed mixed dorms and some private rooms. Please note that there are age restrictions at this hostel. You must be aged between 18 and 36 to stay here.
Prices: Dorms from €6.00 Privates from €24.00
10. Hostels in Budapest - Fifth Hostel
Fifth Hostel offers free WiFi, a fully equipped kitchen, a common room with armchairs, a couch and a TV set, a washing machine and a tumble dryer.
All of our rooms contain chairs, table and individual lockers free of charges. The Hostel is fully air-conditioned.
Prices: Dorms from €6.65
11. Best Hostels in Budapest - Activity Hostel
Activity Hostel is located on the famous historical avenue, Andássy, in the heart of the city. The main tourist attractions of Budapest are within walking distance.
The Activity lounge is a cosy place to meet people, where you can find board games, books and other social activities. They have free Wi-Fi, free linen, a well-equipped kitchen with free coffee, tea, oil & spices and sugar.
Prices: Dorms from €10.00
12. Hostels in Budapest - Flow Hostel
Flow Hostel is a premium quality accommodation in the downtown of Budapest. The hostel was opened in October of 2016, with brand new facilities, and extra services for their guests. It is situated in the historical area of Budapest, only a few minutes from Danube river and the Bar Ruin area is only a few minutes walk away.
Their coolly designed dorm rooms are spacoius and all (bunk) beds come with an individual night lamp, power point and under-bed locker.
Prices: Dorms from €6.60 & Privates (4 bed) from €39.60
13. Best Hostels in Budapest - The Lazy Muggle
The Lazy Muggle Hostel (formerly Central Backpack King) is surrounded by famous historical buildings such as the house of parliament, St. Stephen Basilica, National Museum, Hungarian Academy of science, Chain Bridge and the Opera House.
The hostel has a chilled out vibe and offers many freebies: free walking tours (communist tours, best photo tours etc), free Budapest travel guides and maps, free Budapest travel guides, maps and other information flyers, free coffee and tea and free Wifi.
Prices: Dorms from €9.00 & Privates from €32.00
14. Hostels in Budapest - Avenue Hostel
Avenue Hostel is located relatively close to the centre of Budapest. For instead the Hungarian National Museum is just a 20-minute walk away. This is a modern, fresh and budget-friendly cosy hostel. Avenue Hostel is the cheapest hostel in Budapest.
At Avenue Hostel, they got a range of mixed and female-only dorms. Each (bunk) bed has it's own curtain for extra privacy, reading lamp and power socket. If you are on a tight budget, Avenue Hostel is the place for you because not only are the cheapest hostel in Budapest, you also get a free breakfast.
- Free breakfast
Prices: Dorms from €5.30 & Privates from €50.00
I hope this list of the best hostels in Budapest helps you pick a hostel that best suits your needs during your stay in Budapest. In general, the overall standard of hostels in Budapest is excellent but there are still some bad and mediocre ones. Hopefully, this list will help you avoid bad and mediocre hostels to ensure you enjoy your stay in Budapest.
Book Your Trip to Budapest
Book Your Accommodation
Recommended Tours in Budapest
I recommend GetYourGuide for Tours. They offer highly unique tours with Local Guides. Below are a selection of some of the most interesting tours in Budapest.
- Small Group Ruin Bar Tour - Wander through Budapest's atmospheric Jewish Quarter stopping in at many of the best known ruin bars in budapest.
- Széchenyi Spa Full-Day Entrance Pass - Skip the queue at Budapest's world-famous thermal spring spa, Széchenyi Bath. It's the largest thermal spring bath complex in Europe, it comprises 3 outdoor and 15 indoor pools.
- 1-Hour Sightseeing Cruise with Welcome Drink - See the sights of Budapest from the River Danube on a 1-hour sightseeing cruise, and enjoy a seasonal cocktail or soft drink along the way.
- St Stephen's Basilica Tour with Tower Access - Skip the queue and take a guided tour of Saint Stephen's Basilica including an exclusive visit to its dome and enjoy panoramic views of Budapest.
- Original Budapest Pub Crawl and VIP Club Entrance - Discover the best ruin bars of Budapest on this 4-hour pub crawl of the city center, and then enjoy VIP entrance to one of the best clubs in town!
Don’t Forget Travel Insurance
Travel insurance will protect you against illness, injury, theft, cancellations and much more. I recommend World Nomads Travel Insurance.
Disclosure: Please note that some of the links above may be affiliate links, and at no additional cost to you, BHE earns a commission if you make a purchase. Your support is much appreciated and helps to keep the site going.