Best Hostels in Rome
Check out our picks for the Best Hostels in Rome, Italy. Rome has 300 hostels and we have narrowed this down to the Best 6 Hostels in Rome.
Rome is expensive especially for the budget traveller, but Rome has some very good hostels at reasonable prices (€20 to €30 per night).
When choosing a hostel in Rome or any other city, you should consider the following:
- Check-in/Check-out times – Check-out time at most hostels in Rome is 10 am. Whereas Check-out time at most hostels in Europe is at 11 am or 12 noon. Check-in for is between 2 pm and 4 pm. Please note that nearly every hostel in London offers Free Luggage storage before or after you check in or out.
- Breakfast – Some hostels in Rome offer breakfast for a reasonable price.
- Free wifi – We all need Wifi when we travel. Every hostel will have wifi but some won't have it in the rooms, they just have it in common areas. My advice is to read some reviews on the speed of the Wifi. There's nothing worse than a slow connection.
- Kitchen – If the hostel you are staying at has a fully equipped kitchen, you can save money by cooking your own meals. Some hostels in Rome only have partially equipped kitchens.
- Age Restrictions – With most hostels in Rome, you have to be between 18 and 40 years old to stay in a dorm room. Some hostels in Rome have age restrictions even if you book a Private Room.
- Costs - Rome Hostels are expensive in general. In bed in a dorm room starts at €18 per night (normally large dorm rooms) in the low season, but expect to pay €20 to €30 per night in a medium sized dorm room (6 to 10 beds) in high season. As with all other major cities in Europe prices at the weekend tend to be 20% to 40% higher. Check HostelWorld to get exact prices for your dates.
- City Tax - In Rome, the tourist tax is very expensive. For hostels, it costs €3.50 per person/per night and this fee is not included in the price you find on Hostelworld and other booking websites. Consider it as an extra and pay it upon arrival in cash.
The 6 Best Hostels in Rome
1. Best Hostels in Rome - The RomeHello Hostel
The RomeHello Hostel is the best-rated hostel in Rome. It is located in the centre and within walking distance of all the major tourist sights.
Each bunk has an individual lamp, USB chargers, power socket and a personal shelf. They also have a pub and a beautiful beer garden. Breakfast is not included in the price and costs €7.00 person per day.
Amenities: Free WiFi, Reception 24/7, Air Conditioning, Common Room, Reading Light, Security Lockers, Guest Kitchen, Laundry Facilities, Luggage Storage & Vending Machines.
Prices: Dorms from €27.80 & Privates from €131.50
2. Best Hostels in Rome - The Yellow
The Yellow Hostel is the most popular hostel in Rome. It is located near Termini station and has a popular downstairs bar. This is the best cheap hostel in the centre of Rome.
Their a la carte breakfast is available every morning and costs from €2.50. The standout feature of the hostel is its bar and outdoor patio.
Amenities: Free WiFi, Key Card Access (for added security), Security Lockers, Self-Catering Facilities, 24 Hour Reception, On-site ATM, Bicycle Hire, Laundry Facilities, Bar, Cafe, Restaurant & Vending Machines.
Prices: Dorms from €20.00 & Privates from €71.00
3. Best Hostels in Rome - Palladini Hostel Rome
Palladini Hostel is only a 5-minute walk from the central station Roma Termini and only a 15 minutes walk to the Colosseum. This is the perfect base to visit famous tourist sites in Rome and afterwards to get a good nights sleep.
The Dorm rooms are spacious and have plenty of power sockets for your devices. The rooms come complete with Air Conditioning for those long hot summer nights and heating for the winter time.
Amenities: Free Wifi, Air Conditioning in all rooms (including dorms), Key Card Access only, Security Lockers, Self-Catering Facilities, 24 Hour Reception, Laundry Facilities Luggage Storage, Bar, Cafe & Vending Machines.
Prices: Dorms from €24.50
4. Best Hostels in Rome - Alessandro Downtown Hostel & Bar
Hostel Alessandro Downtown is located roughly halfway between the Termini station and the Colosseum. Recently (early 2019) they opened an on-site bar.
The hotel has large, clean dorm rooms with shared bathrooms. All rooms have air conditioning and heating units. A hearty breakfast is available every morning and it costs an extra €5.
Their sister hostel: Alessandro Palace Hostel is also highly recommended.
Amenities: Free Wifi in all common areas and in bedrooms, Air-conditioning in all rooms, Lockers in dorm rooms, Large common rooms, Fully equipped kitchen, Self-service laundry facilities, the Reception is open 24/7, All rooms are Key Card Access only and Vending Machines.
Prices: Dorms from €24.25
5. Best Hostels in Rome - Generator Rome
Generator is located in Rome’s Esquilino District of Rome. The Hostel is a 5-minute walk from the Termini station and Colosseum Amphitheatre. Generator is an upmarket hostel and costs a little more than other hostels on this list.
The dorm rooms are very spacious and include a full-length mirror, many power sockets and all bunk beds have privacy boards. Undoubtedly the standout feature of this hostel is its beautiful rooftop terrace where you can enjoy panoramic views of Rome's skyline. An "International breakfast" is available every morning and it costs €7.50.
Amenities: Free Wifi, Common Room, Elevator, Key Card Access, Outdoor Terrace, Washing Machine, 24 Hour Reception, Late check-out, Luggage Storage Reception, Bar, Cafe & Restaurant.
Prices: Dorms from €30.45 & Privates from €86.05
6. Best Hostels in Rome - Legends
Legends Hostel is located in the centre of Rome and is only 400 meters from the main station (Rome Termini).
The dorm rooms have Air conditioning, Heating, a Marble floor, a Wardrobe and a Desk. They offer free coffee and a croissant every morning.
Amenities: Free Wifi, Free Breakfast, Air Conditioning, Common Room, Elevator, Key Card Access, Reading Light, Security Lockers, Fully equipped kitchen, 24 Hour Reception, Luggage Storage, Cafe & Vending Machines.
Prices: Dorms from €21.90 & Privates from €71.60
Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means that if you book your accommodation, BHE earns a small commission at no extra cost to you. Your support is much appreciated and helps to keep the site going.