Last Updated on 2nd October 2021
4 Best Hostels in Riga
Check out our picks for the Best Hostels in Riga, Latvia. Riga has only 19 hostels but we have narrowed this down to the best four Hostels. This is a list of the best hostels to consider booking when travelling to Riga on a backpacker budget.
General Info on Hostels in Riga
Here are some things that you might want to consider before booking a hostel in Riga.
- Price - In bed in a dorm room starts at only €8 per night (normally in large dorm rooms), but expect to pay between €10 to €12 per night in a medium-sized dorm room (6 to 10 beds). Cheaper hostels generally have poor reviews, but some highly rated hostels are also cheap. As with all other major cities in Europe prices at the weekend or holiday periods tend to be 20% to 40% higher.
- Location - Riga is a medium-sized city but it's best to stay in a central location close to the top sights and nightlife. (All hostels listed below are in central locations.)
- Amenities/Services - Every hostel in Riga offers free Wi-Fi and a few hostels include breakfast in the price, but if you want more specific services be sure to do your research to find the hostel that best meets your needs.
- Staff - Most hostels in Riga have excellent staff. They are normally very friendly and will give you some great tips on restaurants, bars and clubs etc. But my advice is to read reviews to make sure the hostel you choose has friendly and helpful staff because rude or unhelpful staff could ruin your hostel experience.
- Check out time - Check out time for most hostels in Riga is 11 am, but at some hostels, the check out time is 10 am. Some hostels offer a late check but for an extra fee. You will have to consult with them on this while you are there though. Please note that nearly every hostel in Riga offers Free Luggage storage before or after you check-in or out. But it's also worth double checking on it if you require this service.
- Free breakfast - Only some hostels in Riga include breakfast in the price. If it is included in the price this saves you on the cost of breakfast.
- Free WiFi - We all need WiFi while we travel. Every hostel will have WiFi but some won't have it in the rooms, they just have it in common areas. My advice is to read some reviews on the speed of the Wifi. There's nothing worse than a slow connection.
- Kitchen - If the hostel you are staying at has a fully equipped kitchen, you can save money by cooking your meals. Some hostels in Riga have no kitchens, others have partially equipped kitchens and some hostels have large fully equipped kitchens with a dining area.
Here’s our list of the best hostels in Riga which includes a detailed description of each hostel.
The Naughty Squirrel Backpackers Hostel is the best hostel in Riga. The hostel is situated in a central location close to all Rigas major tourist sites and buzzing nightlife. Both the Autoosta (bus station) and Central railway station are less than 10-minute walk away.
They provide tastefully designed mixed and female-only dorm rooms. The dorm rooms are clean and come with free linens, free towels and under-bed lockers. You will have the option of free walking tours and you also get to use their guest kitchen.
- Their guest kitchen
Dorms from €10.00
Cinnamon Sally Backpackers Hostel is a small hostel located in the centre of Riga. This very social hostel that comes with a large lounge-style common area and comes it's own fully equipped kitchen.
All their chicly dorms rooms come with freshly made beds and large lockers. They offer 4, 6, 8 and 10 bed mixed dorms as well as 6-bed female-only dorms ideal for the solo female traveller. Cinnamon Sally also happens to be the best cheap hostel in Riga with a bed in a dorm room starting at only €9.00 per night.
- Custom designed dorm rooms
Dorms from €9.00
The Wicked Weasel is yet another hostel located in Riga's Old Town. When you arrive at the hostel, you will receive a free welcome beer. In the summer months, you can relax in their beautiful outdoor terrace.
Each dorm (bunk) bed comes fully made with fresh linen, including a large towel, and are equipped with an individual reading light, 2 power sockets and an under-bed security locker.
- Free welcome beer
- Beautiful outdoor terrace
Dorms from €12.00
Riga Old Town Hostel and Backpackers Pub is by far the best party hostel in Riga. With its unbeatable location in the Old Town, everything you need is within walking distance. Their on-site pub is the perfect place to meet locals and other travellers.
All dorm rooms have air conditioning and every bed comes with its own night light, 2 power points and security locker. Free Wifi is provided throughout the entire building. Last but not least, you get a free breakfast beer every morning as they have no kitchen.
- Their buzzing pub
- Free breakfast BEER every morning
Dorms from €9.00
I hope this list of the best hostels in Riga helps you pick a hostel that best suits your needs during your stay in Riga. In general, the overall standard of hostels in Riga is excellent but there are still some bad and mediocre ones. Hopefully, this list will help you avoid bad and mediocre hostels to ensure you enjoy your stay in Riga.
Book Your Trip to Riga
Book Your Accommodation
Recommended Tours in Riga
I recommend GetYourGuide for Tours. They offer highly unique tours with Local Guides. Below are a selection of some of the most interesting tours in Riga.
- Private Tour with a Local Guide - Explore Riga with a knowledgeable local guide. Learn the ins and outs of getting around, where to shop and eat and more on a customized tour.
- Culture and Food Tasting Tour - Discover the best of Riga’s food and culture on a 4-hour walking tour of three of its "must-see" neighbourhoods.
- Riga Sightseeing Tour by Canal Boat - Take a 1-hour cruise along the Daugava River and Riga City Canal onboard an eco-friendly boat and see the most popular sights of the historic city centre.
- Behind the Iron Curtain 3.5-Hour Communism Tour - Find out what was hiding behind the iron curtain in Latvia for 46 years on this 3.5-hour communism walking tour of Riga.
- Sigulda Hiking Tour: A Day in the Switzerland of Latvia - Discover the caves, cliffs, impressive forests, and popular attractions of Sigulda, Krimulda, and Turaida, on a full-day guided hike.
Don’t Forget Travel Insurance
Travel insurance will protect you against illness, injury, theft, cancellations and much more. I recommend World Nomads Travel Insurance.
Disclosure: Please note that some of the links above may be affiliate links, and at no additional cost to you, BHE earns a commission if you make a purchase. Your support is much appreciated and helps to keep the site going.
THANKS FOR READING
Hi, I'm Michael McGuinness and the guy behind the scenes of Best Hostels Europe. I'm a professional web developer, blogger, digital nomad and parent. I've been travelling the world with my wife and young son since 2012.