Best Hostels in Amsterdam
Check out our picks for the Best Hostels in Amsterdam and some of them offer very good value starting from only €10 per night for a bed in a dorm room.
Amsterdam is the 8th most popular tourist destination in Europe and is a very popular "Weekend destination" for visitors from other European cities. Amsterdam is, of course, renowned for its buzzing nightlife, but their many excellent tourist sights to see as well. This makes it one of the top backpacker destinations in Europe.
Overview of the Best Hostels in Amsterdam
Here’s an overview of the awesome Amsterdam hostels mentioned in this article. Scroll down if you want a full description (and more images) of each recommended hostel in Amsterdam.
General Info on Amsterdam Hostels
In general Amsterdam's hostels are not of the highest standard. Dorm rooms can be small, the stairways can be very narrow and a lot of the hostels are not the cleanest. That said Amsterdam has some exceptional hostels. Amsterdam currently has 106 hostels so choosing a hostel that suits all your needs can be difficult.
- Check out time – Check out time for most hostels in Amsterdam is 11 am, but at some hostels, the check out time is 10 am. Some hostels offer a late check but for an extra fee. You will have to consult with them while you are there though. Please note that nearly every hostel in Amsterdam offers Free Luggage storage before or after you check-in or out. But it's also worth double checking this if you require this service.
- Free breakfast – Only some hostels in Amsterdam include breakfast in the price. If it is included in the price this saves you on the cost of breakfast.
- Free WiFi – We all need WiFi when we travel. Every hostel will have WiFi but some won't have it in the rooms, they just have it in common areas. My advice is to read some reviews on the speed of the WiFi as there's nothing worse than a slow connection.
- Kitchen – If the hostel you are staying at has a fully equipped kitchen, you can save money by cooking your own meals. Some hostels in Amsterdam only have partially equipped kitchens.
- Age Restrictions - With most hostels in Amsterdam, you have to be between 18 and 39 years old, but with some youth hostel, you have to be under 35 to stay in a dorm. If you are want to stay in a private room, there are normally no age restrictions.
- Party Hostels - Amsterdam is renowned as a party destination and in turn, many of the hostels are so-called "Party Hostels". Party Hostels generally have a bar or a nightclub attached to the hostel so they can be noisy. If you looking to get a chilled out hostel and to have a good night's sleep it's best that you avoid this type of hostel.
- Costs - In bed in a dorm room starts at €10 per night (normally large dorm rooms), but expect to pay €20 to €30 per night in a medium-sized dorm room (6 to 10 beds). Cheaper hostels generally have poor reviews. As with all other major cities in Europe prices at the weekend tend to be 20% to 40% higher. Check HostelWorld to get exact prices for your dates.
ClinkNOORD is by far the best hostel in Amsterdam. It is located in the Amsterdam Noord district of Amsterdam, just a 10-minute walk from Amsterdam Central Station. You have to take a short ferry to the hostel but this is free. ClinkNOORD has a modern tastefully designed interior and a laid-back atmosphere. You can avail of the breakfast buffet served every morning but for an extra fee.
ClinkNOORD is a huge hostel. They have many different common areas including a library (which can be used as a workspace for Digital Nomads), a sunny and spacious atrium, a café and an on-site bar. They also have a modern self-catering guest kitchen.
Every dorm (bunk) bed has its own reading light, USB socket and electric socket to charge different devices. Reception is open 24 hours and multilingual staff are very friendly and knowledgeable about all things Amsterdam related. They provide a free walking tour every day.
Prices: Dorms from €17.10
Address: Badhuiskade 3, 1031 KV Amsterdam.
2. Best Party Hostel in Amsterdam - Flying Pig Downtown
As it says in the name the Flying Pig Downtown is located bang in the centre of Amsterdam and only a 5-minute walk from the Main Train Station. They pride themselves as having one of the best hostel bars in Amsterdam.
Every bed has a seperate reading light and all private rooms come with a mini-fridge and TV. There are also free individual lockers in all rooms. A buffet style continental breakfast available every morning for only €3.
The Flying Pig Downtown provides free use of a fully eqipped guest kitchen, luggage storage, free Wifi, book exchange and their legendary hostel bar hosted frequent DJ nights and claims to have the cheapest beer in Amsterdam.
The hostel is open 24hrs and all rooms are keycard access only.
All guests of the hostel get free entry to The Winston Kingdom which is one of Amsterdam's most famous clubs. They also offer a free walking tour daily.
Prices: Dorms from €26.60
Address: Nieuwendijk 100, 1012 MR, Amsterdam.
3. Best Hostel in Amsterdam for Couples - MEININGER Amsterdam City West
MEININGER Amsterdam City West is the best hostel in Amsterdam for couples. They are right beside at the Sloterdijk transport hub (trains, trams & buses) and is just a 5 minute from the main railway station.
This hostel has a very modern and contemporary design. The common areas are very spacious. The on-site bar also offers cool local craft beers and other Dutch specialities. There is a fully equipped kitchen for guest use that also includes a washing machine and dryer.
Wifi is for free in all rooms and areas of the hostel. Private rooms are of a 3-star standard. All rooms are accessed with your keycard and all rooms including dorm rooms have a flat-screen TV.
Prices: Dorms from €14.50
Address: Orlyplein 1-67, Amsterdam.
4. Best Hostels in Amsterdam for Solo Travellers - St Christopher's at The Winston
St. Christopher’s at The Winston is yet another hostel located in the centre of Amsterdam. It's 10 minutes to the Main Train Station, 1 minute to the Red Light district and 1 minute to Dam Square. The infamous Winston Kingdom Nightclub is next door.
The Hostel features an on-site bar and restaurant (Belushi's) which includes a beer garden. A continental breakfast available each morning (for €4) and free Wifi is available throughout the building. The staff are very friendly and helpful.
Prices: Dorms from €14.90
Address: Warmoesstraat 129, Amsterdam.
5. Best Hostels in Amsterdam - Flying Pig Uptown
Flying Pig Uptown is the original Flying Pig hostel and is located between the museum and fashion district, the Vondelpark and Leidseplein. Even though the hostel is in a more local district, it's still only 20 minutes walk to the red light district.
They have a guest kitchen and a lively bar that has some of the cheapest beer in Amsterdam and daily drinks specials. Their staff are friendly and very informative.
Every dorm bed has a reading lamp and free individual lockers.
The Flying Pig Uptown also provides free linen and free Wi-Fi. A continental breakfast is available every morning for an extra fee (only €3).
The Hostel is open 24/7 hours and has security at night. All rooms are keycard access only for extra security.
Address: Dorms from €10.90
Address: Vossiusstraat 46, Amsterdam.
The Best Travel Backpack!
Are you looking for the perfect travel backpack? Well look no further as The Nomatic Travel Bag is simply the best Travel Bag/Backpack on the market. This 30L carry-on travel bag is super durable, water resistant and has over 20 cool features.
6. Best Hostels in Amsterdam - Shelter City
Shelter City is situated in the centre of Amsterdam, close to the famous canals, Central Station, Dam Square and the Red Light District.
Shelter City is set in a historic building, which features a café, living room (commom area) and garden.
Breakfast is free and Wifi, linen and city maps are also free.
The Reception is open 24 hours and they offer discounted tickets for canal cruises, bike hire and museums.
Prices: Dorms from €21.00
Address: Barndesteeg 21, 1012 BV, Amsterdam.
7. Best Hostels in Amsterdam - The Bulldog
The Bulldog Hostel is located right in the centre of the Amsterdam, very close to the red light district and Dam Square. The imfamous hostel bar is very laid back and perfect for chilling out after a hard day of sightseeing.
Their multilingual staff are very helpful, the hostel is open 24 hours, offers Free WIFI and Baggage storage.
Prices: Dorms from €20.10
Address: Oudezijds Voorburgwal 220, Amsterdam.
8. Best Hostels in Amsterdam - Durty Nellys Inn
Durty Nelly’s Hostel and Irish Bar is located in the centre of Amsterdam. It's only a 7-minute walk from Central Station, 2 minutes from Dam Square and only 1 minute to the Red Light District.
The standout feature of this hostel is undoubtedly it's beautiful bar. The bar shows Live sport and has a pool table. Hostel guests get a 20% discount on food at the bar.
Wifi is free & fast and is throughout the entire building. The reception is 24/7 and Durty Nelly’s multilingual staff are very helpful.
Prices: Dorms from €19.00
Address: Warmoesstraat 117, 1012 JA Amsterdam.
9. Best Hostels in Amsterdam - Stayokay Amsterdam Zeeburg
Stayokay Hostel is located on the east side of Amsterdam in a typical local neighbourhood. The hostel is only 12 minutes to the centre via public transport (Rembrandt Square is just 7 stops on tram 14). A tram stop is situated only 200 metres from the hostel and the trams are very frequent. There is also a night bus that will take you back to the hostel after a night out in the centre.
The hostel also has its own cafe/restaurant and their building shares a cinema and a theatre. The hostel staff are super friendly and the rooms are extremely clean.
Prices: Dorms from €15.00
Address: Timorplein 21, Amsterdam.
10. Best Hostels in Amsterdam - Train Lodge Amsterdam
The Train Lodge is located next to the Amsterdam Sloterdijk Station where you will find all public transport connections (bus, tram, metro and train) from which you can easily access all the top tourist attractions Amsterdam has to offer. There have is a direct connection by train to the Amsterdam's main airport (Schiphol).
Up until a few years ago the sleeping cars of the Train Lodge Hostel where the luxury cars of the Zurich to Rome night train. Staying at The Train Lodge will be a truly unique experience.
Prices: Dorms from €18.00
Address: Changiweg 121, Amsterdam.
I hope this list helps you pick a hostel that best suits your needs during your stay in Amsterdam. In general the overall standard of hostels in Amsterdam is not the best but there are still some excellent hostels. Hopefully this list will help you avoid bad and mediocre hostels to ensure you enjoy your stay in Amsterdam.
Book Your Trip to Amsterdam
Book Your Accommodation
Recommended Tours in Amsterdam
I recommend GetYourGuide for Tours. They offer highly unique tours with Local Guides. Below are a selection of some of the most popular tours in Amsterdam.
- Life of Anne Frank Walking Tour - Learn about Anne Frank's life on a walking tour of Amsterdam. Hear from an expert guide about her life growing up, as well as the history of the Jewish Quarter and Second World War.
- Heineken Experience Ticket - Come and discover what lies behind the doors of the former Heineken brewery in Amsterdam.
- Evening Canal Cruise - See Amsterdam at its most picturesque on a 1.5-hour canal cruise by night. Discover the historic city centre as you sail past the Skinny Bridge, Golden Bend, and much more.
- Skip the Queue Ticket @ Amsterdam Royal Palace - Follow in the footsteps of kings and queens and explore the Royal Palace of Amsterdam with an informative audio guide. Learn more about the history of Amsterdam in the Dutch Golden Age.
- Johan Cruijff Arena Stadium 75-Minute Tour - Feel the beating heart of Ajax while enjoying a 75-minute Arena Stadium Tour. Your guide will tell you all about the stadium and AFC Ajax.
Don’t Forget Travel Insurance
Travel insurance will protect you against illness, injury, theft, cancellations and much more. I recommend World Nomads Travel Insurance.
Disclosure: Please note that some of the links above may be affiliate links, and at no additional cost to you, BHE earns a commission if you make a purchase. Your support is much appreciated and helps to keep the site going.