Last Updated on
Best Hostels in Bucharest
Check out our picks for the Best Hostels in Bucharest, Romania. Bucharest has many hostels and we have narrowed this down to the best six Hostels. This is a list of the best hostels to consider booking when travelling to Bucharest on a backpacker budget.
General Info on Hostels in Bucharest
- Check out time – Check out time for most hostels in Bucharest is 11 am, but at some hostels, the check out time is 10 am. Some hostels offer a late check but for an extra fee. You will have to consult with them on this while you are there though. Please note that nearly every hostel in Bucharest offers Free Luggage storage before or after you check in or out. But it's also worth double checking on it if you require this service.
- Free breakfast – Only some hostels in Bucharest include breakfast in the price. If it is included in the price this saves you on the cost of breakfast.
- Free WiFi – We all need WiFi while we travel. Every hostel will have WiFi but some won't have it in the rooms, they just have it in common areas. My advice is to read some reviews on the speed of the Wifi. There's nothing worse than a slow connection.
- Kitchen – If the hostel you are staying at has a fully equipped kitchen, you can save money by cooking your own meals. Some hostels in Bucharest have no kitchens, others have partially equipped kitchens and some hostels have large fully equipped kitchens with a dining area.
- Age Restrictions – With most hostels in Bucharest, you have to be between 18 and 39 years old, but with some youth hostel, you have to be under 35 to stay in a dorm. If you want to stay in a private room in a hostel, there are normally no age restrictions.
- Costs - In bed in a dorm room starts at only €6 per night (normally in large dorm rooms), but expect to pay between €8 to €10 per night in a medium sized dorm room (6 to 10 beds). Cheaper hostels generally have poor reviews, but some highly rated hostels are also cheap. As with all other major cities in Europe prices at the weekend or at holiday periods tend to be 20% to 40% higher.
1. Best Hostels in Bucharest - Podstel Bucharest
Podstel Bucharest is the best hostel in Bucharest. It is only a 10-minute walk to Unirii Square, 15 minutes to the Old Town and the infamous Palace of Parliament. This is a chilled hostel with hammocks, a summer bar and an Arabic tent.
They offer 6 and 8 bed mixed dorm rooms. If you stay at Podstel Bucharest, you will have the use of their fully equipped kitchen (with a cooker, microwave, fridge, utensils, herbs & condiments), musical instruments, many card/board games and you will get the opportunity to organise your own event or workshop.
- Their "secret garden"
- Their fully equipped self-catering kitchen
Dorms from €7.50
2. Hostels in Bucharest - Podstel Umbrella
Podstel Umbrella is the sister hostel of Podstel Bucharest, but both hostels are unique. Podstel Umbrella is set in a charming building dating back to the 1920s located in the heart of Bucharest’s most hip neighbourhood, Piata Romana. But it's still only a 20-minute walk to the centre.
They 4 and 8-bed dorm rooms starting at only €7.50 per night. Each dorm bed comes with it's reading lamp.
- It's super clean
- Friendly and informative staff
Dorms from €7.50
3. Best Hostels in Bucharest - The Midland Hostel
The Midland Hostel is a small hostel with only 24 beds. They are located bang in the centre of Bucharest, within walking distance to all the top sites.
They offer 4, 8 and 12-bed dorms. We provide free wi-fi, guest computer, board games, free towels, free linens and free tea and coffee.
- Their super cool main common area
Dorms from €8.00
4. Hostels in Bucharest - The Cozyness Hostel
Cozyness Hostel is as it says in the name a cosy small hostel situated in a central location, only a 10-minute walk to the centre. Their mission is to make your stay in Bucharest a memorable one.
They offer 4 and 6 bed mixed dorm rooms. They also offer cheap bike rentals and low-cost laundry services are available.
- Good pool table for you to enjoy free of charge.
Dorms from €7.40
5. First Hostel
First Hostel is conveniently located in the Unirii neighbourhood with easy access to the best Bucharest has to offer. It's only 5 minutes walk to Unirii Metro Station (Piata Unirii), 7 minutes walk to the Old Town, and 10 minutes walk to the Palace of Parliament.
First Hostel has 4, 6 and 8-bed mixed dorm rooms. Every bed has its own nightstand/shelf, powerpoint, USB charger and reading light.
- Beautifully designed dorm rooms
Dorms from €8.10
6. Hostels in Bucharest - Sleep Inn Hostel
Sleep Inn Hostel is situated right in the middle of Bucharest. The hostel is a 5-minute walk to Old Town where you will find all of Bucharest's best-known tourist attractions.
The Hostel has 4 and 8 bed mixed dorms. The hostel is Air Conditioned and other general services include Luggage Storage, the options of a late check-out and free Wifi.
- Superb Wifi
Dorms from €7.40
I hope this list of the best hostels in Bucharest helps you pick a hostel that best suits your needs during your stay in Bucharest. In general the overall standard of hostels in Bucharest is good but there are still some bad hostels. Hopefully this list will help you avoid bad or mediocre hostels to ensure you enjoy your stay in Bucharest.
Book Your Trip to Bucharest
Book Your Accommodation
Recommended Tours in Bucharest
I recommend GetYourGuide for Tours. They offer highly unique tours with Local Guides. Below are a selection of some of the most interesting tours in Bucharest.
- 2-Hour Old Town Walking Tour - Discover Bucharest's Old Town with a local tour guide and learn about the history of Romania's capital.
- 3-Hour Guided Tour of Communist Bucharest - During this 3-hour walking tour, you'll discover the major landmarks and events of Bucharest’s communist past.
- Half-Day Bike Tour - Discover Bucharest by bike on a half-day tour. Get an overview of the city's many areas, including the gypsy area, Communist Bucharest and more.
- Dracula’s Castle Full-Day Tour from Bucharest - Visit some of the most important castles in Romania on a 12-hour tour of Peles Castle, Bran Castle, and the city of Brasov from Bucharest.
- Constanta and Mamaia Day Trip - Spend the day at the coastal city of Constanta and get amazing views of the Black Sea.
Don’t Forget Travel Insurance
Travel insurance will protect you against illness, injury, theft, cancellations and much more. I recommend World Nomads Travel Insurance.
Disclosure: Please note that some of the links above may be affiliate links, and at no additional cost to you, BHE earns a commission if you make a purchase. Your support is much appreciated and helps to keep the site going.