Last Updated on
Best Hostels in Edinburgh
Check out our picks for the Best Hostels in Edinburgh, Scotland. Edinburgh has exactly 47 hostels and we have narrowed this down to the 8 Best Hostels in Edinburgh.
Similar to the rest of the UK, Edinburgh is expensive especially for the budget traveller, but Edinburgh has some very good hostels at reasonable prices (€15 to €20 per night).
General Info on Hostels in Edinburgh
- Check-in/Check-out times – Check-out time at most hostels in Edinburgh is 10 am. Whereas Check-out time at most hostels in Europe is at 11 am or 12 noon. Check-in for is between 2 pm and 4 pm. Please note that nearly every hostel in London offers Free Luggage storage before or after you check in or out.
- Breakfast – Most hostels in Edinburgh offer breakfast for a reasonable price (normally £1.00 to £2.00).
- Free wifi – We all need Wifi when we travel. Every hostel will have wifi but some won't have it in the rooms, they just have it in common areas. My advice is to read some reviews on the speed of the Wifi. There's nothing worse than a slow connection.
- Kitchen – If the hostel you are staying at has a fully equipped kitchen, you can save money by cooking your own meals. Some hostels in Edinburgh only have partially equipped kitchens.
- Age Restrictions – With most hostels in Edinburgh, you have to be between 18 and 40 years old to stay in a dorm room. If you are want to stay in a private room, there are normally no age restrictions.
- Costs - Edinburgh Hostels are expensive in general. In bed in a dorm room starts at €10 per night (normally large dorm rooms) in the low season, but expect to pay €15 to €25 per night in a medium sized dorm room (6 to 10 beds) in high season. As with all other major cities in Europe prices at the weekend tend to be 20% to 40% higher. Check HostelWorld to get exact prices for your dates.
1. Best Hostels in Edinburgh - Castle Rock Hostel
Castle Rock Hostel is easily the best hostel in Edinburgh and one of the best hostels in Europe. It is in a superb location right next to Edinburgh Castle.
The hostel has some unique features such as a beautiful outdoor patio and a fireplace for those long cold winter nights. Breakfast is available for an extra fee of only £1.50.
Dorms from €15.10 & Privates from €63.00
15 Johnston Terrace, Edinburgh EH1 2PW, Scotland.
2. Best Hostels in Edinburgh - Kick Ass Hostels
Kick Ass Hostels is located in an excellent central location, walking distance to all of Edinburgh's main attractions. All rooms have wifi access, USB charging points and a reading light at each bed. Bunks have been designed to give you maximum headroom and their mattresses are very comfy.
This hostel has a chilled out and social feel to it mainly due to its cheap onsite bar, large common area (where you get a panoramic view of Edinburgh Castle), Guest Kitchen and free walking tours.
Dorms from €11.20 & Privates from €47.20
2 West Port, Edinburgh EH1 2JA, Scotland.
3. Best Hostels in Edinburgh - High Street Hostel
High Street Hostel is yet another hostel located in the heart of Edinburgh. This beautiful hostel is situated in a 470 year old building that comes with an interesting history.
All beds including dorm beds come with individual power points and reading lights. The hostel has a Guest Kitchen and a breakfast buffet is available every morning at an extra fee of £1.90.
Dorms from €12.40
8-18 Blackfriars St, Edinburgh EH1 1NE, Scotland.
4. Best Hostels in Edinburgh - Royal Mile Backpackers
Royal Mile Backpackers Hostel is another very good hostel in Edinburgh and is located on one of Edinburgh's most famous streets. This is a small and friendly hostel.
The hostel has a small kitchen, however, you can use all the facilities of their sister hostel (including the use of its large kitchen) which is just across the street. A Continental breakfast selection is served daily for a small fee (£2.00).
Dorms from €11.40
105 High St, Edinburgh EH1 1SG, Scotland.
5. Best Hostels in Edinburgh - Light House Hostel
By staying at the Light House Hostel you will encounter a more unique experience because it's more like a family home than a hostel. This is a very laid back and cosy hostel. It's only a 15-minute walk to Edinburgh Castle.
The hostel has many common areas including a spacious lounge, a garden and a fully equipped guest kitchen. Breakfast is served every morning and it's free.
Dorms from €11.40 & Privates from €48.10
20 Gilmore Pl, Edinburgh EH3 9NQ, Scotland.
6. Best Hostels in Edinburgh - Budget Backpackers
Budget Backpackers is in the Grassmarket area of Edinburgh and within walking distance of Edinburgh's famous sights.
It’s a very social mainly due to its bar, free city tours, free daily events in the bar, fully equipped kitchen, and common areas. This is the best cheap hostel in Edinburgh with prices starting at only €10 per night.
Dorms from €10.10 & Privates from €42.70
37-39 Cowgate, Edinburgh EH1 1JR, Scotland.
7. Best Hostels in Edinburgh - The Baxter
The Baxter is a custom-built hostel with own very unique and vibrant design. They offer a range of dorm rooms with 4 to 12 beds. Each room has its own lockers to keep your luggage and belongings safe. All rooms include Wi-fi, keycard security entry, cosy bunks with individual power sockets, a reading light and complimentary breakfast is served every morning.
Dorms from €14.70 & Privates from €76.70
5/2 West Register Street , Edinburgh, Scotland.
8. Best Hostels in Edinburgh - Safestay Edinburgh
Safestay Edinburgh is situated right in the heart of the Edinburgh just minutes from the historic Royal Mile. Reception is open 24 hrs, there’s no curfew and there's free WIFI throughout the building. This really is the ideal location for seeing Edinburgh’s historic sites during the day and you will be just a stone’s throw away from the trendy nightlife in the Cowgate area.
The reception is open 24 Hours and they have a few other unique services including an on-site ATM, Laundry Facilities and Vending machines.
Dorms from €10.50 & Privates from €95.80
50 Blackfriars Street , Edinburgh, Scotland.
I hope this list helps you pick a hostel that best suits your needs during your stay in Edinburgh. In general the overall standard of hostels in Edinburgh is very good but there are still some bad and mediocre ones. Hopefully this list will help you avoid bad and mediocre hostels to ensure you enjoy your stay in Edinburgh.
Book Your Trip to Edinburgh
Book Your Accommodation
Book a Tour in Edinburgh
I recommend GetYourGuide for Tours. They offer highly unique tours with Local Guides.
Don’t Forget Travel Insurance
Travel insurance will protect you against illness, injury, theft, cancellations and much more. I recommend World Nomads Travel Insurance.
Disclosure: Please note that some of the links above may be affiliate links, and at no additional cost to you, BHE earns a commission if you make a purchase. Your support is much appreciated and helps to keep the site going.